Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Visuals
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
AnubisProgrammer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:42 pm   Post subject: Visuals

Looking for some help here. I'm a grade 11 student in a C++ class, I'm pretty good at it, I'm ahead of my class, but the class does no visuals. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what file type (we use win32 console apps) are good for visuals, and maybe a sample (depending on length) or a site where they have a sample of a file involving visuals. Thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There is no "file type" for graphics; you simply need to include the appropriate API headers, and use them.

It depends on just how comfortable and experienced you are, but generally if you want to do fast and spiffy graphics you should look into OpenGL or DirectX. Neither one forces you to do 3D (but it's easy to do so), and their both relatively simple to learn. If your familiar with the language (understand arrays, pointers, structures, etc.), and your comfortable with the math (vectors, matricies, etc.) then both 2D and 3D apps should be pretty easy to figure out.
I recomend Nehe for OpenGL and andy pike for DirectX; just do a google search to find the right addresses. (I'm fairly certain their both still up, but you can never be sure these days)

If you only want to do really simple things and want to get completely screwed up by the MFC, then you can use it to do fairly simple and easy graphics. I'm afraid you're on your own for finding tutorials there. You can also use the windows API natively if you'd like to but again I don't know where you might find some tutorials.

As always when it comes to microsoft programming, MSDN is your friend.
AnubisProgrammer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks a lot, I'll look into it and see what I can do with what I've been taught/learned on my own. This could take a while lol. Once again, thank you very much.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Before you invest a lot of time in figuring out how to draw shapes on the screen, learn C++.

http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?p=85638#85638
md

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That's a very good list... I think I can answer them all, but I'll have too try. Knowing C++ that well will definitly help you understand the graphics stuff better, but I don't think it's entirly neccessary to know everything on wtd's list. I for one learned much when I started programming in C++ by writing my own software renderer. When you have something interesting to do, it's a good motivation for learning how to do it right Smile
AnubisProgrammer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I understand most of what's on wtd's list, I'm somewhat good with c++ code, a lot of basic stuff, some advanced, but most of the stuff on wtd's list I understand. Ya, I'm just going to mess around with some code until I get it working. Thanks alot.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

AnubisProgrammer wrote:
I understand most of what's on wtd's list, I'm somewhat good with c++ code, a lot of basic stuff, some advanced, but most of the stuff on wtd's list I understand.

Hmmm... I've seen a few people claim this now. I have yet to see anyone take a stab at answering those questions. Smile
betaflye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Before you invest a lot of time in figuring out how to draw shapes on the screen, learn C++.

http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?p=85638#85638
Agreed, I recommend reading the book "The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup, it's a bit long (1000 pages) but read it twice front to back, and then use it as a reference. It covers every non-implementation specific aspect of the language.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: