Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Linux - Change console resolution
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:36 pm   Post subject: Linux - Change console resolution

Does anyone know how I do this? The console I'm referring to is the one you see when the computer is booting, and the ones that you can switch to from X by pressing CTRL+ALT+F[1-6].
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm not quite sure, but I beleive that depending on what frame buffer your using (you did compile that into the kernel right?) you can specify it as a parameter to the kernel (vga= or video=, i'm sure you can find the specifics online...). There are also tools for doing it, but I forget what their called, and where to find them
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm also quite unsure, but Cornflake's post seems to ring a bell with the time I was installing Slackware a while back. I seem to recall the mention of framebuffer mode, though it could've been just for loading lilo with a picture of tux.
md

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I know there's a bit about it in the gentoo install guide; I'm fairly certain it's not gentoo specific (it's part of the kernel afterall), but I can't be sure. Might want ot check it out eitherway though
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:37 pm   Post subject: Re: Linux - Change console resolution

Martin wrote:
...the ones that you can switch to from X by pressing CTRL+ALT+F[1-6].
yea my archlinux is setup likewise.. and i really can't remember as to how i or why it works.. i did something.. reading it somewhere.. pfft...hey if you do find out.. please tell me.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In your kernel menuconfig, go to "Device Drivers -> Graphics Support -> Framebuffer Device". If you're using vesafb-tng (you most likely are), then the resolution control takes the form of : 800x600@60 . That would mean an 800x600 resolution with a 60hz refresh rate. Recompile and re-install the kernel, and any modules like NVidia, and that should be that Smile

(Oh, and configure your grub.conf so that the kernel line has video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr written in)
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: