Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 EliteTorrents goes down
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:33 pm   Post subject: EliteTorrents goes down

http://www.elitetorrents.org/
Check it out... the site that got me in touble is now dead!

I think torrentbytes will be shutdown soon
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How'd you get in trouble?
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well the BSA somehow got all the torrent info from a torrent i dled from that site... they contacted Sympatico...and yup.
Neo

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

So what are they going to do? Throw you in jail?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Indeed...

They seem to close down BT sites in 'waves' every now and then they just hunt them down. Quite a few sites have been shut down recently.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Perhaps some good trackers have been brought down, but today was Bram Cohen's release of the OFFICIAL Bittorrent search engine (written by the same guy who wrote the bittorrent protocol), and can be found at http://www.bittorrent.com/ . Let's see how long it is before he gets sued too ^_^;
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There is a nice, long discussion about this down at slashdot.

Supposedly his site is vulnerable to mysql injection, and it "gives error messages instead" of cannot be displayed screens.

It's a battle between BT's legal capabilities and it's illegal uses. The thing is, they would have trouble taking it down since its like a whole new download system which many companies are using to lower bandwidth costs significantly.
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:08 am   Post subject: (No subject)

They cannot take down the whole BT system... just the trackers and etc.
This is like the 6th torrent site iv seen in this year that has been taken down :S

Neo wrote:

No, i got a warning Rolling Eyes
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm...I wonder with all the waves of torrent sites shutting down, why hasn't torrentspy shut down yet?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amailer wrote:
Neo wrote:

Heh, are you going to heed that warning? What happens if they catch you doing it again?
MihaiG

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what the hell is that?? Confused the site...waht was it?
Neo

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ELCOMANDANTE wrote:
what the hell is that?? Confused the site...waht was it?

It was a torrent site. Rolling Eyes
Amailer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
Amailer wrote:
Neo wrote:

Heh, are you going to heed that warning? What happens if they catch you doing it again?

Well, I can't get sued yet cus the ISP is doing all the work... and im not gonna be dling for a while now XD.

If I do get caught again I apprently either get suspended (internet) or they just kill my internet connection for ever and I switch to another ISP Rolling Eyes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4587371.stm

anyone have any idea why it takes them so long to shutdown torrent sites? I mean come on... the proof is right there... they can search google them selfs and find torrent sites and then they can go and shut them down.
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Maybe some of the people try and fight back. Wasn't the guy running lokitorrents collecting money to defend the site in court? Or maybe it was another site.

Either way, there's an official BitTorrent search engine now (being run by the guy who actually made BT in the first place) so maybe we won't need those sites anymore?
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Coutsos wrote:
Maybe some of the people try and fight back. Wasn't the guy running lokitorrents collecting money to defend the site in court? Or maybe it was another site.

It turns out that the money he was collecting for his "legal battle" was a scam--he simply got the legal paper, posted it on his site, and asked for donations which all went straight to his pocket.
Really, I find it incredibly, incredibly ironic. A group of pirates get a taste of their own medicine and all of a sudden they feel very indignant about "stealing" and stuff. Rolling Eyes I mean, I download a fair bit of copyrighted material myself, but at least I don't go around crying bloody murder when something like that happens to me, like a few of the lokitorrent bunch seem to be doing.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 27 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: