Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 =OFFICIAL COMPSCI.CA STARCRAFT TOPIC=
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Which Is True?
(No ending time set)
I Play Starcraft.
62%
 62%  [ 17 ]
I Play Some Other Battle.net Game.
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
I Dont Play On Battle.net
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 27

md

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ping a bnet server and see what the resonse times are, if they're not huge then it's a starcraft problem, otherwise it's a network problem
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
zylum

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i have a similar problem... i can play multi player no problem. i can also play 1v1 with my friend on my home network using a router. but when i want to play with my friend on my network and people online, then it lags like mad.

in all instances im playing through bnet. obviously its something to do with my network. i unblocked all the ports on my router (before i was unable to play sc at all) and i disabled my firewall on my XP machine. the other computer is running on win 98... my router is a brand new dlink.

any ideas?
Lazarus

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
Cornflake
ping a bnet server and see what the resonse times are, if they're not huge then it's a starcraft problem, otherwise it's a network problem

I would have to say this is correct, if you get 4 good packets back from bnet though, get a trusted friend to ping your IP with your firewall OFF. Make sure it's not from an other computer on your network. If your packet loss is more than 1, it's a problem with your network/firewall.

Also is your router Wireless? If it is, it may have an internal firewall that you will have to open the appropriate ports to.
md

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it doesn't matter if it's a wireless router or not, if it's a internet connection sharing type router with built in NAT and firewall then you defintily have to forward the ports on it too
Dylan-182

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

so0o0o0o basically just ping the bnet server and get my friend 2 ping moi? lol
MihaiG

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i am the unofficial cannon staking master!!!!!!!! w00t unfortunetly that was only before i lost my SC:BW cd Confused Sad
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

At the risk of making this a Starcraft topic, I must reply.

Cannon stalking is a noobish (hehe) strategy, when you don't even know how to rush with units. *thinking back to the good ol starcraft days* Ya, those were the fools, a no rush for 10 minutes game, and what? they zergling rush you. You can handle that, but what? your ally is now allied with the rushing guy... Ahh yes, fond memories Smile

Too bad my account with a 220-60 record got deleted since I didn't play for too long...
jamonathin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:08 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Starcraft was PwN@g3. I remember playing all of those UMS games. Turret Defence/Mixed Defence was pretty sweet, and so was Dodge the Rapist, Vulture Tag, E V O L V E S, Marine Defence (one with the 6 players and different levels of guys) and some others, can't think of any more off the top of my head. But for Melee, BGH - original and edited, and Zero Clutter 3v3 were pretty sweet. Ah, memories. . .
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Notoroge

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Cannon stalking is a great strategy if ytou know how to do it right. As well, why join no-rush games? Screw that, if you're truly elite you can take a rush, and then some. Wink
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Starcraft... ah.
Addicting game, used to play it ALOT... and during the summers I sometimes never slept Neutral but most of the time I was chatting rather then playing :S (Bots... so much fun Razz).

Anyhow It got boring after spamming and Bnet started to ban accounts and hackers and etc... so yeah it was good but now its just so damm OLD yet Its awsome game to play Razz (I played it recently).
Notoroge

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I play it all the time. Although, why would you care if Blizzard started bannind hackers and spammers? You don't have and spam do you? Shocked

Er, yeah... I play a lot. But I don't play UMS / Money Maps. The Hunters / BGH / Lost Temple all the way. Smile
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:20 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you are truly elite then you can play any map at all and do good. That's my point. I know tons of people who think that only BGH games are for pro's, but the fact is, they are two different game types. Personally, BGH games were pretty good for competition, but any 3v3 or FastestPossible map is fun to play with massing, etc. Once you have everyone massed, it involves not the BGH type clickfast build properly strategy, but a where do you attack? flank type strategy.

Personally, the people who I really, really hated were the ones who join your "1v1 nr15" game, then rush you, and say "well, nr is for noobs anyways". That's retarded, if you thought that, then why join the game?

Another classic was "oh, sorry, I though that mean 'no rules for 15 minutes'" oh yea, those were the days.

I really do have quite a bit of thoughts about this game. It comes with playing it for some 5/6 years. I only played a bit of UMS games, made a few myself, but didn't play them too often. I hated it when people thought they were better than you at the game when they used some bug on the map and beat you. UMS games, IMO now, do not require the skill that melee games do.
Dylan-182

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

hahaha whoa man this went from my simple question (well not so simple but w/e) to a starcraft reunion for most of you lmao but this got me 2 thinking Thinking and i remembered starcraft 2 is coming Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Notoroge

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

'Star Craft 2' will come out eventually, some blizzard dude said. But right now it's not being worked on. Are you reffering to 'Star Craft: Ghost'? The game looks decent, at best. I'm kinda ticked off that it's not being released for PC, at least not as of yet.

But anyways, I'm not saying that I think you're a 'nube' for playing UMS ('Cat & Mouse' / 'Sunken Deffence v10' were always my favourites) or that playing 'Money Maps' is bad. They're fun, but they don't require the skill and strategy that's involved in standard maps. Let's do a quick comparison of preparing an attack in 'Fastest' using Protoss in FFA mode, and BGH:

Fastest:
  • Setup mineral income
  • Setup gateways / forge
  • Setup gas income / create seven zealots / Create Cybernetics core
  • Spread zealots accross map; one zealot to each potential base
  • Start making mad goons / upgradd (while above step is going on)
  • Once base is detected, 'Unleash the Fury'.

BGH:
  • Setup mineral income
  • Setup two pylons / Forge / gateway / Cybernetics core; in that order
  • Create seven zealots and scan the map
  • Prepare deffence
  • Expand base by one mineral patch / Geyser every 10 - 15 minutes or else you run out of resources; while defending both old base and new vulnerable base
  • Attempt head on attack or clever, minimal, covert attacks; as the former rarely works.

I'm ending this list prematurely because I have 3 minutes to get to class. But in summation, I find my BGH games drag on longer, and people are inspired more to try out neat strategy tricks in order to save their resources and create the most damage possible. BGH is where you really see strategy come into play, not just a 'mass and attack'.

In conclusion, both are fun. I just prefer the former. Wink
Andy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

see thats why i dont like money maps much because people use the same strategy over and over again.. where as for temple or hunters, you have to constantly adjust your strategy according to your enemies... it makes the game much more challenging and force it to be a true rts
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 11  [ 160 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: