Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 The joys of cygwin
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
md

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:59 am   Post subject: The joys of cygwin

Now I know all you experienced power users out there have no doubt hear of cygwin, and perhaps even installed it on your windows machine, but I don't think you've heard of the KDE port to cygwin, so here for your viewing pleasure is a screenshot showing kate (kde text editor), an Xterm, and konqueror all running on windows; as well as a native port of gaim, and gkrellm2. I'll see if I can get some more shots of an actuall KDE desktop when I get more time after work this afternoon Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have heard of cygwin and the kde port, but could never get it to work, any advice on how I could get it to work?
Notoroge

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've heard of it, played around with it, and uninstalled it. I can see it's something pretty neat to have installed, but I fail to see any real use of having it. Confused If someone ported KDE to Windows as an actual replacement UI, then I'd be pretty exited.

The only real reason for having it installed, in my opinion, would be for developing KDE Linux-apps from Windows. But in that case, why not get Linux itself?
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ah cuz that way you can have the best of 2 worlds at least (kde and windows)

but... the thing is... i hate kde. pfft!

PS: Mac OS X gets you the best of 2 worlds too,, and with virtual pc it really is 3
md

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I didn't have any trouble getting it to work at all, just followed the instructions and installed the packages listed (be sure to install qt3). rebaseall afterwards and it's all good.

The only reason I have it was because I thought it'd be neat to try, and because I could Razz
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
I didn't have any trouble getting it to work at all, just followed the instructions and installed the packages listed (be sure to install qt3). rebaseall afterwards and it's all good.

The only reason I have it was because I thought it'd be neat to try, and because I could Razz

thanx Cornflake, I think I didnt install qt3 when I tried it, maybe thats why I couldn't get it to work
md

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

It would appear that I need more upload space... I have s few more screenies, but no way of getting them online!
Notoroge

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:20 am   Post subject: (No subject)

http://www.photobucket.com/

By the way, is there anyway of adding transperancies onto konsole so that you can see your Windows background? Because that would be elite. Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Naveg

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

probably a stupid question, but could this by any chance allow you to install a linux distro through windows? i think all you'd need is chroot.....
wtd

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://www.colinux.org/
Naveg

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what i meant is to install a linux distro to a separate partition through windows, sort of like you would do with a liveCD. In other words, download a tarball to the new partition, chroot to it, and work your magic.
md

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No, not possible as it's not a linux system to begin with. All it is a a lot of the linux utilities, libraries, and software ported over to a semi-windows envoroment. Cygwin implements a small portability layer, but it's not enough to run an entire distribution. I don't understand why you'd want to run linux on windows in the first place though, and if you really did it's probably easier to use VMWare or VirtualPC.
Naveg

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you still didnt get the question, but its alright i dont think it can be done.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't have cfdisk or fdisk installed on cygwin (and it's a full install). Don't know though. You could try and pull a gentoo-type install through cygwin. No guarantees as I've never tried it. But it should be possible.
Naveg

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thats what i meant Smile, can you install gentoo through cygwin to boot and run on its own
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 18 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: