Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Linux pronunciation
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What's in *your* wallet?
(No ending time set)
Linux (short "i")
78%
 78%  [ 15 ]
Linux (long "i")
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 19

Mazer

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:56 pm   Post subject: Linux pronunciation

I've always went with the short i pronunciation, but I've often heard the long i, like in Lynucs.org, or when my brother tries to make fun of me for using linux.

What do you use?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, I heared Linus himself say the short version on the documentry on Linux, so I go with that one. He said that his name is Linus and the OS is Linux or something to that degree, and only his name was the long pronouciation Wink
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Gah! I heard the sound file, but I didn't want to mention it so it wouldn't sway people's opinions of it.

Well, let's say "how did you pronounce it before hearing this, and did it change your mind?"
Notoroge

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Lih * nuhcks, since I first read the word. It's just proper pronunciation.
Linus, on the other hand, I've always know it was Lie * nus.

A guy was talking about how pro he was with linux and computer "hacking" at school one day,

"Man, and then this idiot gave me his IP. So I totally opened up the console and then ran this one script I made that let me change his background, and I was like, 'Rofl (he actually said, "roffle")! Goatse! Lienux owns you!'" I went on to say, "It's pronounced, Lihnux". To which he promptly replied,
"No man. It's Lienux. Don't ever call it the way you did in front of other linux users, otherwise they're going to scold you for not pronouncing it right. You'll look like a total newbie"

Yeah, he got excommunicated from the group on that same day. Confused
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

also the all too famous "linix".. dont forget that one.

i pronounce it lih-nucks too
void

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

its simple really...linux ..tehre is no e after the n thus the i is by default short....so unlike line..where e makes the i longer...linux is just linux...
betaflye

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I pronounce it GNU/Linux, so not to forget the contributions of GNU Smile
Dauntless

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

void, that's a stupid argument. Linus has no e after it either, but it is pronounced lie-nus.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
void

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i kno..its a horrible arguement..but the point of the story is ...its lih-nux...not lienux..lol
axej

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

why would you use a long i anyways? it sounds so odd Confused
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I know. My point was I've heard both ways from many different people and (even after learning the "true" pronunciation as determined by Linus Torvalds) I wanted to know what everyone here thought of it.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Here's a link to a phonetic alphabet version of the pronounciations http://www.safalra.com/science/linguistics/linux.html

But I just go with "Lienux" because, as a native Romanian speaker, it just comes naturally. As Linus himself said at a conference. "I personally don't care how you pronounce, as long as you're using and bettering it." Smile
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: