Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Cheap (and old) graphics cards.
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:59 pm   Post subject: Cheap (and old) graphics cards.

I'm wondering if anybody (Windsor specific would be nice) knows where I could find a cheap graphics card.

- Preferrably NVIDIA based, but I guess an ATI wouldn't run 2D that badly.
- Some kind of video out (to TV) required. S-Video or the other that other port (connecting to video in on the back of the TV).
- Old. I haven't looked closely at this mobo, but I'm sure anything more than AGP 2x won't do. Which leads me to PCI. I check places like TigerDirect.ca and see the cheapest PCI graphics card going for ~$50 (and that's after a rebate). Granted, they're not going to be selling old stuff that would provide only as much power as I need from it.

Anybody know where I can find crap like this? 'K thanks.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, I just picked up an old GeForce2MX (64MB) AGP card for $40CAD w/ tax. Granted, there was no video-out other than VGA, but there might be something in that range with video-out.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dont go below geforce2 especially if you want to take advantage of nvidia linux drivers.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the fx5500 is pretty good and now goes for about 150
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
Post subject: Cheap (and old) graphics cards.

Andy wrote:
the fx5500 is pretty good and now goes for about 150

Man, I didn't even spend 150 on my "good" graphics card.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

LOL how much r u willin to blow on it?
Notoroge

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How about this? Smile
Hint: Click the smilie.
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
How about this? Smile

Quote:
Operating systems Windows 98/ME/NT 4.0/2000/XP

Whoops, I fail the requirements. Wink
Aside from that, I've never actually used ebay before. If I were to win something, would I pay just the price of my bid and that includes the shipping or what?
Anyways, other problems of mine include that it's an ATI card (even though I'm using one already), and that it doesn't have any output for the TV.
Thanks anyways, for going through the trouble of finding that.

Andy,
So far I've spent rougly $2 on hardware for this (the USB keyboard). All I need for this box to do is run StepMania under Linux using my TV. It just seems silly to spend alot of money on a graphics card that won't even be doing anything so extreme. I haven't even started on the DDR pad yet!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Notoroge

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My Radeon 7000 has both TV and DVI out. I just assumed that one did too. And I dual boot with Slackware; no problems here. Works great with Quake3. Smile
I have two video cards, I use that one specifically for out-putting stuff to my TV. Movies, and whatnot.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Coutsos wrote:
Notoroge wrote:
How about this? Smile

Quote:
Operating systems Windows 98/ME/NT 4.0/2000/XP

Whoops, I fail the requirements. Wink

No you don't Smile Never believe it when it tells you that. I own so much hardware that has tried to convince me it only works on Windows, and was lying. My LinkSys PrintServer, my digital camera, my webcam, et al ... they all insist on their box that they only like Windows (well, my webcam admitted it would play nice with Mac too, but that's still incomplete). They will most likely run on Linux just fine, and if you doubt, check the Hardware Compatibility Library at www.linuxquestions.org .

It's an ATI Radeon Card so I'd be VERY VERY surprised if it had any problems -- I know quite a few ATI tutorials out there myself. If the bid is still up, I'd say go for it Smile
Notoroge

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:
If the bid is still up, I'd say go for it Smile
Nope. Someone already got it. Although there are tons of other 7000's on eBay. And lots of different varieties too. I think I saw one with 128 MBs and AGP 4x there, in contrast to my 32MB PCI 7000.
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru, I was only jokin'! But it bugs me when they list hardware to require Windows.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Coutsos wrote:
Hikaru, I was only jokin'! But it bugs me when they list hardware to require Windows.

Oh... oops Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I mean, er... I knew that 8) Duh... Laughing
Andy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:49 am   Post subject: (No subject)

tiger direct?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=318&
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Those are all AGP 4x or 8x...
Either way, it seems either the AGP slot on this beast is dead, or the only 3 AGP cards I have (that will fit) are. Which really sucks, because just a couple days ago it worked fine. I even had the Ubuntu live CD running!

Crying or Very sad
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: