Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 XBox 360
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:52 pm   Post subject: XBox 360

Being previewed on E3 very soon. It looks like Microsoft has the console thing figured out, and Sony is in for some trouble (Nintendo, in retrospect, has been in a lot of trouble for a while now.)

They've secured the strongest list of developers I've ever seen, and the XBox 360 will have titles from such series as Halo, Perfect Dark, Need for Speed, Ghost Recon, Elder Scrolls, Battlefield, Quake, Splinter Cell and possibly Final Fantasy.

Discuss.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the newspaper said that it'll have a 3.2 ghz powerpc processor? are you serous? xbox360 is gona kick ass
Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't think the time is quite right for any new console systems to come out. Right now thes new consoles are not going to give much more then the old ones. Shure they will have more vid and cpu power but the diffrece will not be that noticable. I think that the big 3 conosle makes should have wated another year at least befor starting all this....
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Amailer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Still, just buy a PC.. that thign is almost a PC XD
+ I don't like consols... games get over and you can't play them again (get boring).. unless it was xBox live.. sorta makes it better XD
Andy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think online console gaming is a great idea, cuz then no one would have advantages over other gamers..
here's the full spec
wtd

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think it's great that Microsoft is rediscovering the PowerPC (NT4 ran on PPC). However, they've aimed too high with their specs this time.

IBM's a great company that makes great chips, ut ask Apple about their difficulties in delivering high clocked PowerPCs in large yields.

There are three ways the Xbox 360 can be shipped:

• Fast
  • Cheap
  • Well

It can be any two of those at the same time, but not all three. If they want it on time for Christmas 2005, it's either going to be of poor quality, or really expensive.

The other problem the Xbox 360 poses is that they're planning to market at least one version of it as a Windows Media Center, but likely undercut companies like HP and Dell that are doing the same with traditional x86 PCs.

With Microsoft directly competing with their own customers, will these companies look for ways to bite back, perhaps by competing with Microsoft on the software front?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I guess they're looking for competition...

Why would you want an XBOX over PC anyways? Because the games are more expensive? Or is it because you're making Bill Gates happy?

I'm sure even that XBOX 360 will be out of date soon enough.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea.. heha.. i dont have a console box or anykind for this reason alone: there's not point to a gamming console box after all PC games are more advanced.. and more enjoyable.

PS: wait actually i do have one.. but i dont use it.. what a waste of cash.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Why would you want an XBOX over PC anyways?

• Cheaper
  • Easier
  • Fits into an entertainment center environment better

This is not to say the Xbox 360 is perfect, or even good, but for what it'll do, it'll do these things better than existing PCs.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the xbox360 will have a release price of less than that of the ipod picture, so it shouldnt be too expensive.. and hopefully it'll be a well built machine
wtd

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
the xbox360 will have a release price of less than that of the ipod picture, so it shouldnt be too expensive.. and hopefully it'll be a well built machine

Don't count on tjhat. $699USD at release isn't out of the question.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i didnt make that up, its what microsoft said
Martin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm guessing that XBox'll release the console at $299 US (the release price of the original xbox). They're aiming to do with the XBox 360 what Sony did with the PS2, and if they're going to do that, they'll have to have the price low from the get go.

Microsoft knows how to do consoles really well, so they wouldn't make the mistake of making it too expensive. If there's anything that Microsoft knows, it's that cheap is the way to go. I think that the only things that could be a problem for them would be either a poor list of release titles (not saying that it's going to have this problem, but it would be a problem if it happened) or Sony suprising everyone in a couple of days and saying that they'll launch the PS3 at the same time (unlikely, but possible).

One of the big features of the PS3 and XBox 360 is that they're introducing HDTV support (for games and movies.)

And practically everyone is a Microsoft customer (hence, you know, most profitable company ever), so if they want to do anything, they'll end up competing with their customers. Fortunately, that only serves to lower prices.

It would be cool to see Apple release a console. Unfortunately they don't have the resources to enter the race any time soon. They'd do a good job though I imagine.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
It would be cool to see Apple release a console. Unfortunately they don't have the resources to enter the race any time soon. They'd do a good job though I imagine.

If they did, I'd like to see them try a different direction: slightly more expensive hardware, but open formats, and free developer tools.

Imagine a $500USD gaming console that comes with a USB port (or bluetooth) for mouse and keyboard, and software for creating your own games. That puts games on standard DVDs. That uses Compact Flash cards for game storage. That has an iTunes Music Store style interface where you can download the newest games for $10, and smaller games from independent game makers for a dollar or two a piece. IMagine the ability to preview them before buying.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
i think online console gaming is a great idea, cuz then no one would have advantages over other gamers..
here's the full spec

If u are refureing to peoleop hacking online games on P.C.s it can be done just as easly on consoles if you know how, in fact it is some times esayer and more effective on the consoles beacuse less time is put in to secuity b/c they are thinking just like you. Anything can be hacked with enougth time, effort and thought.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: