Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Warning, new virus afloat on Msn Messenger
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mapleleafs

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:56 am   Post subject: Warning, new virus afloat on Msn Messenger

There is a new virus which may appear in a MSN conversation window stating for example:

Mr. Smiley: rofl
Mr. Smiley: is this picture you? (followed by a link)

If you choose to click on this link, a program will be installed on your computer. One ill-effect of this is sometimes while in MSN Messenger, numerous conversation windows will pop up (with it looking like you're the one sending the 'rofl' message to others). Also, whenever you boot your computer, Windows asks if you want to run a program called "system.exe" (you should probably click no). I've also heard of an instance where this virus caused Windows not to startup (icons did not appear).

Um, anyways, I was stupid enough to click the link, and now my computer is somewhat messed up, so if anyone could offer help, that would be great.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

That's pretty old actually. I thought it went away long ago, but just a few weeks ago my friend was telling me she clicked it.

Having not experienced this first hand, I wouldn't know the best way to get rid of it. Except for this: format. I tell ya, it's been my solution to just about every Windows problem (I actually tried, but I couldn't get the virus to run under WINE) that I've had.

Although considering how long this has been around, there could be some virus definitions for it. Try updating your antivirus program and doing a full system check.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah I have the exact same problem, only mine says "run.exe", and every once in a while it would say "trofl" or "srofl". Well, maybe thats because I was typing, i dunno.
Look at this topic i posted yesterday, betaflye he offered some good help.

http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=8757
mapleleafs

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

alright, I downloaded an anti-virus program called "Kapersky" (recommended by betaflye) and my computer is now cleaned. It's rather funny because i just got my computer in december and the virus scan picked up about 12 trojans and over 1000 P2P worms... Crying or Very sad
betaflye

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Kapersky consistently is on top of antivirus testing and removal tests (if you don't believe me google it). If you enable to extended definitions you can be even more protected. Glad to see you enjoy it
Andy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

trend micro's pc cillin would be my pick.. its really good cuz the instant a new virus comes out, it'll notify you and tell you to update
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Really, I had it for ~six months without getting any updates. The reason it wasn't more than six months was because I had to reformat.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

maybe u had crappier version, if u want, i can send u the fIdeauIdealIdealIdeaIdeavIdeaeIdearIdeasIdeaiIdeaoIdean
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dylan-182

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Thinking so theres no known way of getting rid of it? my sister clicked the link not knowing what it was and now its asking me 2 run mssgrmessenger.exe at startup its really annoying Hit Wall
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Anyone have an english version of kapersky? The one i downloaded is all in french, and I can't figure it out. [im guessing everything's backwards on it]
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The only way to stop the evil msn messenger to stop starting up is to delete it (highly recommended) or to rename the .exe.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I cant find the .exe though, thats the problem. But are you sayign that the evil msn file is stored in msn messenger itself? so if I were to delete every msn msngr file, i would end up deleting that virus/exe thinger?
betaflye

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

jamonathin wrote:
Anyone have an english version of kapersky? The one i downloaded is all in french, and I can't figure it out. [im guessing everything's backwards on it]
http://www.kaspersky.com/personal Click on trial versions, and find and ensure the download ends in en.exe
wtd

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

jamonathin wrote:
I cant find the .exe though, thats the problem. But are you sayign that the evil msn file is stored in msn messenger itself? so if I were to delete every msn msngr file, i would end up deleting that virus/exe thinger?

I think what he's saying is: don'tuse MSN Messenger. If you must converse with those using MSN Messenger, use something Like Trillian on Windows or Gaim on Linux.
1of42

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Or better yet, use XFire.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 23 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: