Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Sprites
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dudewhatzup1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:41 am   Post subject: Sprites

What are sprites? and how do i use them? where can i get them? sorry im a complete beginner except for the vars and put statements Embarassed
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sprites are graphics. Remember Doom? All the bad guys were sprites. That is, they were images, drawn at a specific location so that you know "omfg, shoot over there!"
One thing you should know is that there are many sprites for each monster (sticking with the Doom analogy for now). When the monsters walk towards you (or crawl or fly--well, maybe not fly in this case) it has to be animated to look like it's walking, so each step is made up of several sprites. And because Doom was supposed to look 3D and you could walk around the monsters, you had to be able to see the monsters properly from every angle which meant they had to be drawn from every angle (not actually every angle, but enough at least for smooth animation if you were to watch the monster turn in a complete circle).

With a Doom .wad editor you can get inside the game files and look at all the sprites. Though I guess maybe you could be talking about sprites like you would find in an SNES or GBA RPG. It's the same idea, except (for the most part) not 3D.

Hope that helps. If you need me to clarify anything, let me know.
Dudewhatzup1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks alot that really helps! Very Happy
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: