Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How about some Cloned Meat!
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:56 am   Post subject: How about some Cloned Meat!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4435159.stm
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jamonathin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't care, as long as my cheeseburger tastes like "cheese" and "beef", and I'm not going to die from it, bring it on!
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:34 am   Post subject: genetically engineered vs. cloned food

jamonathin: not like you know what goes into your McDonald's lunch Laughing

Anyways -- cloning food is borderline genetic engineering. It's just that instead of taking an animal and making it better, scientists find that better animal and artificially multiplying it like rabbits would.

Now here's the problem - the article suggests that those highly productive clones will be shipped out to areas such as China and India to boost their food production. Those areas cannot afford controller environments (that's why they need those clones in the first place). The lack of such controlled environments means that those cows will be stumbling around the farm, mating just the same as they would otherwise. Although the gene pool on average will be considerably better, it will be limited to these one or two cloned versions. And we all know what happens when we have a large population with virtually no gene variations. We'd be lucky if the disease will be exclusive to the super intelligent cows of the eastern world. Then again, 1/2 of the world's population that resides in those areas will begin to starve within a week.

Might as well engineer the food. As long as the staff is honest, has proper education and is not corrupt -- genetically engineered food will be better and safer than the above mentioned mass sacrifice to the gods of natural selection.
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Next step'll be just growing the meat, and not needing the animal to grow it on. Mmm, beef...too bad today is McChicken day Wink
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The only real problem i could see if that if they over do cloning a spifike aniaml they could acuatly weaken the geen poll over time by not alowing for any new combiations of DNA. It could eventaly lead to the destruction of the speases if it is over done. The main thing whould be to alow for some verrecne in the DNA poll or to come up with better cloning techlonglys.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey that reminds me of StarGate SG-1 ... in that series.. the high teck azguard race.. basically were human-like once upon a time.. but look how weak they are now.. the result of generations of cloning... actually they are a dying race.

which brings us to the question.. will we eventually clone ourselfs as a means of reproduction? (now consider that most so called developed countries have very few babies being born. the population is on a decline.. the birth dearth.. population implosion) so if this were the case then we definitely will weaken our self.. and possible turn into a dying race.

now that we have started this on animals.. man.. we better stop before we extinct them. (assuming the above hypothesis is true)
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
hey that reminds me of StarGate SG-1 ... in that series.. the high teck azguard race.. basically were human-like once upon a time.. but look how weak they are now.. the result of generations of cloning... actually they are a dying race.

ROFL, that is excalty what i was thinking of when i posted that =p
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
brenn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

martin wrote:
Next step'll be just growing the meat, and not needing the animal to grow it on. Mmm, beef...too bad today is McChicken day Wink

Very Happy I had that for lunch today.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Me too Smile

Except on Wednesdays, the bitchy manager is there, and she won't let them switch the fries with a coleslaw. Bastards.
brenn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

martin wrote:
Me too Smile

Except on Wednesdays, the *****y manager is there, and she won't let them switch the fries with a coleslaw. *******s.

Ohh, does that come in a little transparent plastic container? I saw someone eating that and I didn't know what it was but I didn't want to randomly walk up to him and ask..... I never knew McDonald's had coleslaw ;o

Y'know, I never thought you'd be someone who would be willing to eat at McDonalds Very Happy
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

brenn wrote:
I didn't know what it was but I didn't want to randomly walk up to him and ask....

I would (as long as the guy doesn't look like he would kill me), but I have this thing against going to McD's
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i dislike McD;s too
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

brenn wrote:
martin wrote:
Me too Smile

Except on Wednesdays, the *****y manager is there, and she won't let them switch the fries with a coleslaw. *******s.

Ohh, does that come in a little transparent plastic container? I saw someone eating that and I didn't know what it was but I didn't want to randomly walk up to him and ask..... I never knew McDonald's had coleslaw ;o

Y'know, I never thought you'd be someone who would be willing to eat at McDonalds Very Happy

I eat so much junk food it's not even funny. Come to think of it, I eat a lot period....hmm...
brenn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

martin wrote:
I eat so much junk food it's not even funny. Come to think of it, I eat a lot period....hmm...

;o You didn't last term
md

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah he did, you just didn't notice... BTW Martin the C&G is now called "The Grill", same good food though.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 32 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: