Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Windows apps on Linux
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Naveg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:51 pm   Post subject: Windows apps on Linux

I am planning to move to linux in the very near future. I have one hugely important question: For my windows stuff that works only on windows is the best bet WINE or a vm?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Depends. A VM'll get more things working, but it's not always convenient (why load Windows when you just want to play a game, for example).

Most people use both.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Best bet if you don't need to be doing both at the same time is a dual boot system.
Naveg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

dual boot seems to be the way to go....right now i have somewhat of a bizarre setup so i'll need some help

currently i have (75gb):

15 GB for windows OS
60 GB for docs and programs

how would i go about setting up a dual boot? parition sizes and all
betaflye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Look into Codeweavers Crossover Office, it isn't free and is a frontend for WINE, that makes configuring things like Internet Explorer and Office XP very easy.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Vladimir wrote:
dual boot seems to be the way to go....right now i have somewhat of a bizarre setup so i'll need some help

currently i have (75gb):

15 GB for windows OS
60 GB for docs and programs

how would i go about setting up a dual boot? parition sizes and all

OK, those 15 GB are good. Keep it as an NTFS partition. Then, backup those 60 GB (good luck). From those 60 GB, create a 40-GB Fat32 partition (Fat32 so that both Windows and Linux can access it with a good degree of proficiency). Leave 20 GB as unallocated space. Then start up the Linux installer (I reccomend Debian, Ubuntu, or Gentoo). Each of these installers come with a partitioner. Basically, just throw the 20 GB of unallocated space at it, and it will generally make a 1 GB ext3 boot partition, a 512 MB swap partition (or more, depending on how much RAM you have, and what you want to do with your computer), and the rest as an ext3 partition for the actual filesystem. So now you'll have 15 GB for Windows, 20 GB for Linux, and 40 GB for shared documents and files.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

A good tip. To placate Windows, make sure it's the first partition on the drive, and make sure you install Windows first.
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
A good tip. To placate Windows, make sure it's the first partition on the drive, and make sure you install Windows first.

Learned that one the hard way. Not that I'm terribly concerned with Windows having the second smallest partition on my drive Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: