Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How to create a help file?
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Ashi_Mashi2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:30 pm   Post subject: How to create a help file?

Hi everyone...

I want to create a help file in VB. I want to use something like those 'tree diagrams' that have different topics/subtopics, etc (like Windows traditional help file)...how can i do it?..thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Brightguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:15 am   Post subject: Re: How to create a help file?

You don't use VB to create help files. They are actually .rtf text files (that have to follow a very specific format). You can use the "Help Workshop" (comes with Visual Studio, I think) to compile the text along with your help contents.

When I first wanted to make a help file I couldn't find any free programs so I did it manually. I just checked for a page with that format description but found this program. I haven't used it, but it looks good.
Ashi_Mashi2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:37 pm   Post subject: thx

ok..thanks a lot...i donwloaded the program..i just need to learn how to use it and i think i'll be fine;)...but, when i am done making the help file, how can i run it in VB?
Brightguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:37 pm   Post subject: Re: thx

You can associate a help file with your application in the project properties or by setting App.HelpFile, and whenever you press F1 the help file will open. The CommonDialog control also has a HelpFile property and you can use the ShowHelp method to open the help file. And I think there's a winAPI HelpFile function that you can use to open help files.
Ashi_Mashi2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks....so, how can i direct the help file to open up in a specific place? i mean whenever i run the help file, it starts from the beginning...i want it to start say from the part that is related to the specific part of my project...thx
Brightguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:06 am   Post subject: Re:

When creating your help file, I think every topic gets a context ID. You should be able to open to a specific topic if you know the HelpContextID...
VisualBASIC:
   CommonDialog.HelpCommand = cdlHelpContext 
   CommonDialog.HelpContext = HelpContextID
   CommonDialog.ShowHelp

And if you press F1 the App.HelpFile will open using the HelpContextID property of the object that currently has the focus.
Ashi_Mashi2

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok..thanks...but, i am unfamiliar with common dialog...i mean i tried what you said, and it didnt even open the help file....so, can you please tell me how to do it, like a bit like 'step by step'. thanks a lot.
GlobeTrotter

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Press Ctrl+T in VB and then check off the CommonDialog control. Then drag the CommonDIalog onto your form. You can then use those commands.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Ashi_Mashi2

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok...i did that...but, still no result...i have my help file as "test.hlp", and in the common dialog menus, i set the "help file" to say "C:\test.hlp" and copied your code into a command control...i think i'm not doing something right.
GlobeTrotter

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What do you mean by "copied your code into a command control"? You add the Common Dialog Control to the form as you would a timer. Then you can use it in your code as CommonDialog.Whatever.
Ashi_Mashi2

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol...sorry, i was in a hurry...i meant the command button...anyway, i know it doesnt matter where you put the code...but, it still doesnt work...anyway, i reasearched a lot and found out that there's more to it than just putting the code...using:
code:

App.HelpFile = "F:\temp\test.hlp"
With Form1.CommonDialog1
.HelpFile = App.HelpFile
.HelpContext = topicID
.HelpCommand = cdlHelpContext
.HelpKey = "the selected topic" '(*optional)
.ShowHelp
End With

(i know it is almost the same as what you previously wrote)
i could start the help file, but i dont know how to add id to the different topics...when i put a random number (like 1, 5, 12, etc) in the "topicID" field, i can get different parts of the help file..but, i dont know how can i direct them to the topic that i want, i.e., how to add the topic id to the help file?
thanks agian
Brightguy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:01 pm   Post subject: Re:

I can't remember if you can set your own topic IDs. I suspect there will be some way to do it in that help maker program.
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: