Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A Wizards Tale .... work in progress
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
windowsall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:00 pm   Post subject: A Wizards Tale .... work in progress

Well this is my first ever game and well its real crappy its still a Work in progress and i know its not a wizard yet but it will be when its near completion which wont be for a while i hope to make this an ongoing project for me and there will soon be boundaries set up so it wont be well lets say walk anywhere. Acctually to be honest its really crappy but worth checking out... a lot of the more experienced will laugh at my code but i consider my self still a noob.

game.zip
 Description:
I dunno A lil somehtign of mine i guess

Download
 Filename:  game.zip
 Filesize:  625.01 KB
 Downloaded:  231 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
c0bra54

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well not to bad so far, some things to work on:

when your opponent misses you, yuou appear to have an extra line under the statement..

another thing is, when drawing your sprites on the game map, something you can do instaead of having that background and prite coour the same there is a command in turing (not in reference file) that sets a colour in any picture to be transparent (useful for sprites, kinda replaces trasnparency for GIF's)
the syntax is like this

Pic.FileNew (insert all info here)
Pic.SetTransparentColour (variable for picture name, colour number to be transparent)
Pic.Draw

this will set what ever colour to be transparent... this can allow you to have the sprite go over any colour, and still now show his bg...

now for the colour, i suggest using Hot pink (colou 13) which in RGB is 255,0,255

since no sprites use this much, it is a good idea.. simply fill pic and se that...

next thing to work on is use "offscreenonly", read about it in the reference... this will get rid of the flashing problem...

(if somone else could xpand more - i have very limited time right now, otehr wise i wil later)

... Ps

i've noticed that you do use some procedural coding.. this is good.. but have everything set into procedures.. your final main loop should like like

loop
cls - offscreenonly stuff
proc
proc
proc
func
func
proc
proc
View.Update - offscreenonly stuff
end loop

this will make coding neater. and also you will tend to move completly away, from what you are sortof doing which i call (dunno if right term) linear coding.,. where your program excutes mainly, top to bottom... you want procedural..

other then that not to bad to start, keep at it and i hope to see some good updates ahead

btw, have a couple bits for it.

+Bits
windowsall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:18 pm   Post subject: Thanks

Well I do believe I havent used Sprties in it yet but I am learning DanSprite well acctually it'll take me some time but by the time im finished this game well I will change it all! lol thanks tho I iwll work on those issues and acctually just today i was looking at the offscreenonly thing and tried it but nothing seemed to show.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Make sure when using "offscreenonly" that you delay after using View.Update.
code:

loop
cls
%Draw Everything, Do Movements [in procs, like cobra said]
View.Update
delay(50)
end loop

The easiest way to set a tranparent color is to draw the color that you dont want to be seen, with white. And do this: (merge)
code:
Pic.Draw (attackposleft1, positionx, positiony, picMerge)

If something on your image is white and is being transparent, make it a light grey color.
windowsall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:10 pm   Post subject: WOW

alright I did the offscreenonly thing with viewupdate and delays but it was extremely laggy and acctually kinda looked worse then before but thats my opinion maybe i did somehting wrong. now for the picture thingy your talking about im wokring that in with the code right now as soon as I get rid of that stupid archer and replace him with a wizard. Thanks Any other comments would be awesome !!
jamonathin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:47 pm   Post subject: Re: WOW

windowsall wrote:
maybe i did somehting wrong.
I think you did lol. it just takes some getting used to. When used properly, View.Update and "offscreenonly" wont be laggy and it will be perfectly smooth. Look at some of the other submissions, (Zelda, My Copter Game, and others) and you can relate your program to that. good luck!
c0bra54

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yessum, but about using white.. and picMerge, it is a difference of opinion, just because you'll notice that if your sprite has white in him.. own't work right... that si why i will hold to (and if ny one more xperienced could clear this up ) that Pic.SetTransparentColour is the way to go...

but yeh, keep us udatd! and dun worry to much about sprites.. they can always be changed later
windowsall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright right now im changing the wizard and trying everything out i figured i better do that before i get any more code lol . But Yeah i will surely keep you posted on this game. Hopefully i can submit it for my ISP Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
windowsall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:25 pm   Post subject: BSprites

Alright I got 3 other friends helping me the improved version will be using Bachus Sprites (BSprites) and whatdotcolor for my boundaries. it will have a story line to it and different levels obviosly. The user will be able to save where he left off and also choose his own character out of like four of the ones for grabs. Hopefully when we get the first level down it will be worth posting on here But I will definatly keep you upto date.

P.S. My teacher is letting us do this as long as we implement what we learn in class (which is nothing as the class is learning how to draw a box so in a bout 2 weeks time everything we learn will be in this program. Which is kinda sweet.
c0bra54

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

PS... if you wanna learn more.. do what makes sense.. instead of learn what you learn in class.. becuase something they teeach you aren't required.. such as process.. and getch.. and a few others...

Read the compsci tutorial forums.. go through most of the necro post's and read all the apps.. learn from examples of others.. see what worked for them, and also just experiment.. just say.. ok i want ot put this in my game (ex... umm.. lets say an animation... ) so d/l 6 or 7 sprites of an animation, and play around with it to get it to work.. and Poof now you can animate sprites.... i found this was how i learned stuff the best...

ok well look foreward to see updates.. and try not to have TO many ppl help with code.. or you will forget who is using what variables...

we got taught the evil's of global variables today.. Razz they still rulz...lol

but yes, read compsci tutorials.. and don't just copy and paste the code.. retype it, so you learn it better Very Happy.. Peace out
Bacchus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:30 pm   Post subject: Re: BSprites

windowsall wrote:
Alright I got 3 other friends helping me the improved version will be using Bachus Sprites (BSprites)
WOO! i got a suporter Razz *cough* missed a h *cough* ne who, pretty good for starting out, but you need to work on the flikering screen (probably a wrong View.Update) and also when you fire everything else freezes, and there was also a bunch of bugs when i got into a battle including the getch going waaaay to fast for normal attack and when i won my guy was invisable
Shyfire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

not a bad game Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Exclamation work on the levels a little more
dann_west

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:03 pm   Post subject: Re: A Wizards Tale .... work in progress

Great start.Id like to c it wen its done!!!
Twisted Evil
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: