Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Delphi
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Zero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:46 pm   Post subject: Delphi

I found some Delphi 3 and 5 cd's I had laying around and found a "Delphi3 for dummies" book in the book case so I decided to get it a check out. I noticed there is no forum for it here. so it makes me wounder how good/popular this language really is. How useful is it? Is there any reason why I should learn it, or is obsolite?

.:Zero:.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Delphi is reasonably popular. It's basically Pascal but tied to a (reportedly) nice integrated development environment for building GUIs.

However, with the work going into .Net, if you're wanting to do Windows-specific programming (Delphi is exclusive to Windows) you're better off going with C#.

While Borland continues to develop Delphi, Delphi 3 and 5 are most certainly obsolete, and I sincerely doubt there's any compelling educational reason to learn to use either of these products.

Lots of other compilers/interpreters/IDEs are free and available for easy download, so the discs laying around thing doesn't provide any cost advantage either. Smile

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

wow.. yea pascal is taking a really long time to die Razz All because of Borland and Apple. well at least apple dropped it right after Mac OS X.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
wow.. yea pascal is taking a really long time to die Razz All because of Borland and Apple. well at least apple dropped it right after Mac OS X.

Mac OS X? Pascal was being phased out around the introduction of OS7, when pretty much everything was rewritten in C.

Alas, Apple decided to go with C++ around the same time, rather than Dylan.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

os 9 still had a bit of pascal in it. or they simply didn't remove the PASCAL macro??
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: