Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 I Need Game Makers
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

If you like Do you think Compsci should get a section for It??
(No ending time set)
Yes, I like/no to opening a forum
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
No, I don't like/no to opening a forum
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Yes, I like/yes to opening a forum
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
No, I don't like/yes to openign up a forum
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
I don't Care
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have shared my background with the jam
I will state it again
I am in grade 12 and taken a 13th year for more computer courses
I have been programing wiht code since grade 8
I have worked with types of programing including Starcraft a long time ago (8 years soon to be), this gave me the concepts of programing
I started turing in 9 after leanring html
I thne expanded to java, C, C++ by grade 10 and was looking into XML
I leanred Php soon after and help construct my friedns web page. I learned Java script to help with his game (sadly it crashed and burned after Beta)
I then went deeper into C++ and discovered C# for my non gaming needs, At this point I was working with 2-D and combining languages together, I then discovered the power of 3-D with blender and it game engine, this led me into OpenGL and directX I made a language of my own based on turing but 10 times more powerful. I use C++ as a based a made a text editor, I had some help form this with Tom West and Mr. LePage (My compsci teacher)
I then went on to further explore combinig lanuages and found fortran which is great for claulates and can be combined quiclky with most languages. Now in grade 12 I have expanded to leanring Ruby, Python as well as dig deeper in OpenGL and DirectX. Now I am just tied up lose ends in my skills and working on my 3 games projects (1 Mine total, 1 I am doing maps and graphics, The other I will be making Tilesets and input) I alos am well learned in engineering and can take apart any computer and put it back blind folded.O ya and like any programign who dreams big I made an O.S. in assembly.

How is that for my story!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Do you have any code that you've done that you can post? Also, why on earth do you want to make an OS in assembly?
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't have any of the code with me. I can see if i unpackage it. Most of it is really big thought and I can't post on the site. They are ethier well over 2mb (i.e. O.S is 1.6Gb) or they are to mnay lines. I think one of my program is 100000+ lines so it is really hard to post that. And for the O.S. assembly what else would you make it in. I is the most powerful language ever.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Sure, it's fast. It's also incredibly difficult to develop in, and as platform dependant as you can get. If you can't post whole programs, post parts of programs.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

BS... for one.. Assembly is not the most powerful language ever.. its the most primitive.. its only benifit is low level access to registers and speed.

As for the rest? what you seriously either dont have much of a life (assuming you actually programmed all you stated above.. and all on your own) cuz wirting more than 1000000 lines of code for an individual.. means there's something totally wrong here... or ur just simply plain Old Razz
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I find it hard to bilive that some one who could make a fully functuanl OS in asm by them selves whould use RPG maker to make an RPG........
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Stargate... why don't you head into General Programming and try some of the programming challenges I've posted. Blow us away with your encyclopedic knowledge.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Stargate, you remind of one of two types, and I'm not sure which one that is yet.
1) Someone who over exadurates everything they 'think' they know, to make theirself sound smarter.
or
2) That guy in gym calss who is good at every sport you play, but never great at one. And you know that his 'good' skills in that one sport will never take him anywhere (unless it's like a physical trainer or something).

Also, remember these quotes?
martin wrote:
Also, what entails 'knowing' a language?

Take C++ for example; the language I feel most comfortable using. I'd say that I am a fairly competent programmer for where I am in life. I know how to use a tiny percent of C++'s various libraries, but I can do some pretty cool stuff with what I do know, and I usually don't have too much trouble picking up new things (except dlfcn.h, which still makes no sense to me, but that's besides the point).

Do I "know" C++?

rizzix wrote:
whether or not you can use the libraries does not determine your knowledge on the language.. Do you understand the language it self? thats the question you should be asking. by "understand" i mean do you know the whys and hows, and etc.. an easy way to determine ur understanding of the languages. is to be able to use any libraray writtin in that language,, by anyone. Razz (not so easy now is it?)

martin wrote:
In that case I'd say that very few people 'know' any language.

Just something to think about Thinking
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ok assembly is great without it there would be know windows, that is all I need to say, o wait we wouldn't be on this site rigth. Any one here who has done assembly should know that you can't post it since there is know copy and paste. I just got home form school so i will go through my other hardrives I will take a look for some code or maybe (I hate to do it but rewrite some form memory just to prove my skills).

Hacker Dan to answer your question, there are so many types of programing, and my favorite type of game is 2-D (don't ask me why, I just love them) and the one thing that I can't do is make graphics, except for simple tilesets. So this gives me a way to make a game and play it at the same time. There is so much more to programing than writing code.

And to the 100000 lines I made a mistake the longest was only 80000, I was doing it off memory at school.

Wtd: I will try some some of your porgram's right know I have to do lotta nglish homework: Sad I got an Essay, and a presentation next Friday)\

O I try to be very modest you guys make this os hard thought.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Woah, we submitted a reply on the same minute, thats craaazy! Silly
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ah but claimed that you know directx and opengl.. not impossible claims.. infact most of us know one of these.. but it suggested that you are into 3d game programming... and ur facination of 2d games is contradicting.

nevertheless why keep your knowledge to your self.. contribute.
Laughing
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Of course you can copy and paste assembly files. It's just standard text.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I just have one simple question for you Stargate, with all that knowledge why are most of your posts in Turing sections? I have no problem against that, but knowing that much you could surely be an addition to the C++ section, or any other section...

BTW, its possible to be into and experimenting with 3d, but liking 2d games more.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

errr unless im mistaken, windows was written on dos, not assembly...
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

StarGateSG-1 wrote:

Hacker Dan to answer your question, there are so many types of programing, and my favorite type of game is 2-D (don't ask me why, I just love them) and the one thing that I can't do is make graphics, except for simple tilesets. So this gives me a way to make a game and play it at the same time. There is so much more to programing than writing code.

That made no secne to me what so ever.........you do not have to know how to make graphics to make an RPG engion and esptaly a title set one witch is realy not that hard at all. Progaming != graphics desgin

And as martin side asm is like any other text file b/c it is tured in to hex. There should be no logical reason why it could not be copy and pasted from a noraml text editor.

As for the windows thing, i know 3.1, 95 and 98 where bulit on dos and techatly they where not realy OS but more of a desktop enerment for dos. XP is not bulit on dos so i am not shure about the ininer workings of it, but i whould hardly say it is made in asm. shure it maybe the case that some is but they bulid on that to the point where they hit the VB level and make dumb apps like mind sweapers =p
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 6 of 7  [ 104 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: