Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Throwing in the towel
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:09 pm   Post subject: Throwing in the towel

After my recent argument with Martin, it's finally beginning to sink in that I'm just too stubborn on computer-related issues.

Are x86 chips inelegant when compared to other chip architectures? Maybe, but does it matter? When it's all said and done, no one's even gonna use anything in in significant numbers. The Mac, let's face it, is just irrelevant, as much as I love Apple and the spirit of the people working there.

As for programming... well, I've been something of an idealist. I've chosen languages to champion that I thought brought something really important to the table, whether the subject be academic or practical, or even both simultaneously.

But who am I kidding? Even with those benefits, it's Microsoft that sets the direction for everyone to follow. Visual Basic and C# are the future, and anyone who denies that is just going to get left behind. The Ruby forums are a nice touch, but ultimately pointless.

I guess it's time for me to face reality, go out and get a copy of Windows XP, a book on C# and grow up. I suggest the rest of you do too. You just can't fight it folks, and if you try, you're going to get burned.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wait a second here. Windows XP? C#? Noooo........ (although I thought that you were already playing around with Mono).

Of course, for the immediate future at least Microsoft is going to direct the future of computing, but it's not entirely a bad thing. They've shown some innovation in recent times, undoubtedly spurred on by the stiff competition they don't admit they have. Longhorn *could* be nice.

And I clearly am just as stubborn as you when it comes to this issue Wink. Read my edited post in the mac forums :p
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah. Longhorn's just blurry screenshots so far, but even there it looks so much better than anything else.
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Holy crap.
Now can you convince tony to change this theme? And don't forget to find a way to port Enlightenment (the mega-ultimate superior WM) to Windows when you get a chance.
SPOILER: /me sits back and chuckles, waiting for wtd to say "April Fools!"
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh gosh, WTD? Don't EVER say that. No matter how true it could be. Fight it! We will win... eventually.... hopefully... argh.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
oh gosh, WTD? Don't EVER say that. No matter how true it could be. Fight it! We will win... eventually.... hopefully... argh.

It's really idealistic of you to say that rizzic, but really... what are the odds?

Apple's not ever going to control things, and eventually, it'll all come to naught, and their followers will be way behind people who've just embraced the inevitable.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Coutsos wrote:
Holy crap.
Now can you convince tony to change this theme?

I'll try my best, but it's really hard to make someone see straight when they've had their head in the clouds.

Tony's just going to have to see reason, eventually, though.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
I'll try my best, but it's really hard to make someone see straight when they've had their head in the clouds.

Tony's just going to have to see reason, eventually, though.

I'll come down when I hit my head over a solid cloud. Or run out of oxygen, whatever comes first Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Mac Users Unite.
Im into all 3 , Linux Windows and OSX.
I Program in Python , VB , Turing and Java.
Dont give in WTD , im standing strong.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shorthair wrote:
Dont give in WTD , im standing strong.
wtd wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:09 pm Post subject: Throwing in the towel
Naveg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

VB and C#?? is it just me or were you the one who said those were as good as dead, and its all about Ruby and C++ now?
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What part of april fools day do you guys not understand?
md

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

stick with c++, it'll never die (i hope...)
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

OMG, wtd... now would be a really good time to jump out and go "April Fool's!" . You're scaring me :S
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Vladimir wrote:
VB and C#?? is it just me or were you the one who said those were as good as dead, and its all about Ruby and C++ now?

I would qualify that. C++ is a better language than C. It is not, however, by any means the pinnacle of programming language evolution.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 36 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: