Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 writing a scripting language
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
cimnik029

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:33 pm   Post subject: writing a scripting language

I, for the pure fun of it, have decided to try to write a scripting engine and virtual machine. Does anyone have any resources to guide me in this undergoing? If found several sites (like the article on flipcode), but anyone have anything in specific that does everything without touching tools like Flex? I kinda wanna do it all by hand for the experience.

Btw, with the virtual machine, is their any benifit if "registers" are used? Would there be any tangable improvment if I had registers in the virtual machine to operate on as well as the stack or would it make no real difference considering the time to copy data back and forth?

Thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

A stack-based virtual machine is easier to implement.

Your major obstacle, though, is like going to be parsing the source for your "scripting" language. For this the classic tools are Yacc and Lex or the newer Flex and Bison.

Also look into higher-level languages with parsing tools. They can be much easier to use.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: