Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Formating a partition
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Neo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:12 pm   Post subject: Formating a partition

I am having problems formating an existing partition on my western digital hard drive. When I installed the hard drive I used the Data Lifeguard tools that came with the hd to set up the drive. I have the drive set up into 3 partions C:,D: and E:. I have windows ME installed on drive C:. There is no option in the Lifeguard tools to format a partition, only the whole drive. I cant use command prompt because it says I used a third party partitioning software. I emailed western digital and they gave me this response. Confused

Quote:

The Data Lifeguard tools software is not designed to format selected partitions, only to do a complete setup. So if you want to reformat only a selected partition, you can speak with Microsoft since the format option is supported by them, or backup any data and reinstall.

Anyone have a better idea?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

1. Get rid of Windows ME. Install anything else you have...98, 2000, xp, or, if all else fails, Linux. Actually, you really should install linux anyway, but I'm guessing that's not an option. In any case, Windows ME is by far the WORST version of Windows that has ever been released.

2. Get partition magic.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yea.. partition magic is really good, better than all the other softwares i've used, you can find a copy around...
md

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Partition magic is probably the best your going to find, but you should be able to reformat with the format command... at the very least you can delete the partition (fdisk), create a new one, and the format the new partition.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: