Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 reinstalation of windows 98
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Bobrobyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:15 am   Post subject: reinstalation of windows 98

Okay, the other day I removed any spyware that was in my system. However, once I restarted it, windows "rebooted" or something, because it wants to go through the setup again. I no longer have the product key, because I kind of lost the disc Razz Does anyone know how (or if you can)to access the registry without booting up windows (so I can get the product key)?

~Bob
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:49 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Why on earth do you want to install Windows 98?
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

obvious questions aside

1 - get knoppix
2 - find yourself a linux based registry access tool (I know there has to be something out there) and load that onto a jump drive (USB, iPod, etc)
3 - get your values
the_short1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

does it need to be the same as the one that u installed windows 98 with?.. meh.. no mater..

heres waht you do:
-go to a friends hosue and download win 98se get one that comes with a working serai or get one
-burn to cd
-go to your house and install win98se OVER your existing installation..
it recopies all the system files but keeps your reg and program files and stuff. . but it fixes a LOT of problems, and corrupted files..

i did that a month ago, because for some reason(virus i think). . dozens of my system files disapeared.. . and after i reinstalled windows overtop.. ALL MY PROGRAMS WERE STILL INSTALLED AND WORKING.. . so its just like it never happen.. took me 30minutes to fix .. installed and walked away..try doing that with windows xp . . i laugh at you.../ works great on my personal pent 2, 128 ram,.6gb hd +networked to family hd Razz..

thats why i love windows 98. .. simple..fast.. effective... just like NOTEPAD <gets it done wihtout all the bullshit>
Naveg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

those links probably shouldnt be on compsci...just a guess
brenn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Um, this might be a long shot, but some computers have the little Windows sticker with the product key stuck onto them... like on the side panels or underneath if it's a notebook... :S I have no idea if this is only for Windows XP though, but yeah, it's still worth it to take a peek? ^^;
the_short1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yea.. whoops.. . i removed those links.. iforgot this was compsci for a minute ! aha....ty for saving me from wrath of a mod Razz..

and the sticker.. tahts a good idea..
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: