Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Text-Based-Dungeon "The House"
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Warrick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:19 pm   Post subject: Text-Based-Dungeon "The House"

Okay, it's not really a dungeon. It's a late 19th century mansion. Still, you'll be doing things that you would in most other games.

(Feel free to NOT read this and just download at this point)

This was originally my final project for my Grade 11 programming class. I had a partner and I said, "You know what? I've finally figured out how you could make text based dungeon thingy." My friend gave a little grunt. He liked the idea. ^.^

So I went, grabbed graph paper and began to draw out the house. My partner began to program some code (creating the array of records for items which I had to revamp much later in the game's progress).

A week passed and I had finished my map, made some notes, wrote a program proposal, design and then the background story (and half a dozen room descriptions). My partner had also done a few room descriptions (msot of the upper floor in the game...though I later had to go and redo a lot of it).

We had two weeks to do this game. Neither of us liked to program at home (as transporting code back and forth from school was too big of a hassel) so, in the end, we spent a little under 10 hours on the game. Needless to say, it was no where close to being done when we finally handed it in.

Still, by the time we had to pay the piper, we had already finished most of the procedures (including a procedure to delay text, one to get basic descriptions, one to change all input text into lowercase and one to handle actions). We got -2% for having an incomplete project. We ended up with a 98% - you do the math. Wink

One day, I woke up and said to myself, "Gee, wouldn't it be super duper neato if I finished that program?" I put off the program for like a month.

Eventually, I got back to it. I completed all room desciptions (that's over 30 other rooms), fixed broken ones, finished the inventory, added sound, added new, more effecitve procedures and (most importantly) added a way to actually win the game.

And that brings me to date. I've added a few things as per suggestions from testers (seen in the credits). I even tried my hand at a password system since the game takes (roughly) six hours to beat.

My password system sucks, by the way.

I asked a friend a while ago to use his already existing CompSci account to upload my file.

Obviously, that never happened.

So here's my file. I hope you enjoy! ^^
If you find any bugs, feel free to flame away and mock my lack of programming finess.

(As a side note, 4221 lines of code [aprox. 4000 without comments], 21 procedures/processes, 44 squares and 8 sound files are part of my game)

TheHouse_BetaV1_04.zip
 Description:
The House 1.04

Download
 Filename:  TheHouse_BetaV1_04.zip
 Filesize:  1.04 MB
 Downloaded:  895 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Warrick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

...Blah, that password system bothers me so very much.

Could a brave person please post their already existing password algorithm? I'd just like to see it so I can branch from there to suit my needs. ^^;

(I'll even take code that writes a .txt in the directory and then gets that text back to load the game. Thinking )
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: