Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 atomic structure
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
person

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:38 pm   Post subject: atomic structure

how many electrons can fit into each shell of an atom??
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

2 in first, 8 in each one after.

Though I think you get those cavities in between starting at 4th level. Thinking I don't remember my chemistry Confused
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

2n^2, where n is the "energy level", or "shell".
When tony says cavities, he's referring to the fact that when at a higher energy level, adding an electron does not always add an electron to the valence shell. Rather, it often adds an electron to a lower energy level.
That's also why tony said "2 in first, 8 in each one after." The valance shell can only have a maximum of 8 electrons (except if the valance shell we're talking about is the first shell, in which case the max number is 2.) So, if the valance shell is the 4th orbital, the fourth orbital can have a maximum of 8 electrons. But if the valance shell is higher, the 4th orbital could be 2(4)^2 = 32 electrons.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And then it all goes to hell when u start bonding them together. my favoit is the 3 bonds btween two elements where the elections go out of existisn for a very short prired of time and aprer some where eltes. got to love qoutem wave machinicks.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
person

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wat is the maximum of?

1st shell = 2
2nd shell = 8
3rd shell = 18
4th shell = 32
5th shell =?
6th shell = ?
7th shell = ?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

person wrote:
wat is the maximum of?

1st shell = 2
2nd shell = 8
3rd shell = 18
4th shell = 32
5th shell =?
6th shell = ?
7th shell = ?

For the fifth level... 2(5)^2
What's so hard?
Bacchus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i thought it went:
1-2
2-8
3-8
4-18
5-18
6- not sure if another 18 or went to 32
person

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

y is it 2n^2?

also

wats the purpose of neutrons
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Bacchus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes is smart so im guessing hes right, but that equation is just a series equation (u learn them in gr11 math) and it just used for getting the nth term in the sequence
person

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i know hes right but "y" is that the formula...how was it derived?
brenn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:12 am   Post subject: (No subject)

person wrote:
i know hes right but "y" is that the formula...how was it derived?

Um, that has to do with quantum physics and stable energy levels and other advanced chemistry and physics things and what not.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:14 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Neutrons keep the nucleus together by means of the strong nuclear force (or at least, that's what my teachers have told me. But in chemistry, we're told so many things that are wrong, or not entirely true that I really can't say anything for certain).
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

a neutron is consisted of two downs and an up quark... since its a hadron, its held together by the weak force. since the nucleons in a nucleus is within 10^-15 m of each other, there is strong interactions between them (called the strong nuclear force) this force is created when some of the matter from the nucleons are used as mass energy, or binding energy. this means the mass of a nucleus is less than the sum of the individual mass of the nucleons... and using E=mc^2, you can figure out how much energy it is needed to break apart a nucleus... if u guys have any other problems with quantum physics, feel free to post here.
person

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

y is the formul a for electrons 2n^2?
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what grade are you in? have u taken any quantum stuff? cuz its really not worth explaining if you know absolutely nothing about quantum mechanics
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: