Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Weird slot
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
apomb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:12 am   Post subject: Weird slot

What the hell is this slot for?? (the blue one at the top of the motherboard)
i was just inquiring about the latest SLI capable boards and came across this picture on tigerdirect.ca and am perplexed by what this slot could be for!?!?!

heres the link ... just scroll down a little to the picture of the whole Mobo odd slot
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

errr i could be wrong but from this small, it looks like an agp port?
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That's what I thought at first too -- AGP

But it's so weirdly located, the video output is blocked, you wouldn't be able to plug into a video card placed there.
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea i noe.. thats y i wasnt too sure.. maybe you're supposed to pop out the onboard video? it is awfully weird....
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Never seen that before... doesn't make much sense so I'm just guessing, but could this be the cinderella card to your shoe port?
MihaiG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yup thas it you can count the pins(on the card that go in the socket smae number of holes... what is it?
apomb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

but what the hell kinda card is that and how much does it cost??? cuz thats a really good looking mobo .... thanks coutsos ... i was quite (like i said be fore) perplexed by this configuration... i have however, seen the "DPS" thinggy before, but it was built into the board ... and streched around the back side of the I/O port and looked something like this so ya ... odd ... i did find a picture of that card inserted in the board, ... here very interesting. Thinking
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wow.. that is odd... hmm maybe it was simply designed for a fan port?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I thought that too, at first, but it doesn't seem logical. It would make more sense to leave it up to the end user to strategically mount some fan in the case if that were the purpose. Besides, with the heatsink the fan is attached to and all the other electronics on the card... it's interesting, at least.
MihaiG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it could be for running 2 chips in parrallel..because of the heat sink and fan i think its for a second chip(less powerfull
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

err wtf are you talking about? please refrain from posting in a topic that is >> than you
Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sorry to bring out this old topic, but I'm doing an comp eng project. I saw the picture with the board attached to that slot, and it said DPS K8 on it, and on the tigerdirect spec site, there was:
U-Plus DPS Power circuit with Fan(attached)
this certainly sounds like it. would anyone like to confirm me on this?
As far as I can see, its used for the dual power system:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1651&page=3

As far as I can tell, it is unique to GIGABYTE mobos, used for the dual power system, for increased power stability. Unless you're a huge overclocker or employ power sucking cooling systems, this is a bit excessive...
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: