Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How to Eliminate the Dual Boot?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:26 pm   Post subject: How to Eliminate the Dual Boot?

Today, I aquired a new hard drive (20gb!). I've already got two hard drives in my computer, though. One has Windows ME on it, the other has Ubuntu. I've got a dual boot going on (grub). So anyways, to connect the new 20gb hard drive, I had to take one of my existing hard drives out; I chose to take out the Ubuntu one, as all of my files are on the windows drive.
So, I've connected everything for the new harddrive, but now when I boot the computer up, grub (the dual boot program dealie) experiences "Error 17" when loading. Then my computer sits there until I decide to hit the reset/power button.
My question is, how do I eliminate the whole dual boot thing, and boot only to Windows? I'm guessing I'm going to need to plug the Ubuntu hard drive back in and do something in ubuntu.
(Don't worry Ubuntu fans. I intend to get Ubuntu working on one of the hard drives after all this is over.)
Thanks in advance,
-Cervantes
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I strongly suggest asking this question at ubuntuforums.org, and giving someone a chance to help you with the grub configuration before you do anything drastic.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Whew, thanks wtd. Forgot about there. Embarassed
Turns out, it was really, really easy. All I had to do was stick me Windows boot disk in, wait for the a: prompt, then type "fdisk /mbr".
I don't know why or how it worked, but...

^_^
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: