Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 School Computer...
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:50 am   Post subject: School Computer...

Alright... this is anoying...
Evertime I install anything on my computer... it gets deleted once I log off or the computer restarts -.- the only way I can make things not get deleted is to install them my own directory... but thats kinda unsafe now XD.

Anyonw know how to get around this? I tried all the directories on this comp but i can't create new folders or anything in them.... its pretty sad because i hate IE! I gatta use that crap... + i can't even save the look of this comp.. anyhow.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:47 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Don't schools ghost computers or something? I think DeepFreeze is popular Thinking

Anyways - the best thing I can think of is taking it up with your sysAdmin and insisting on migration to FireFox due to security issues of IE. Though if they have DeepFreeze I imagine them not giving a shit, since its essensially a format at a reboot Confused
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well it isn't deepfreeze and how many people listen to grd 9 kids?
they use novell.....
Pickles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:41 pm   Post subject: ..

it will be on top of novell. Yeah its a pain, when you actually have something needed, but you can see it from their standpoint, there are alot of idiot kids installing random crap. I just keep winzip setup in my own directory.

Best bet would be to talk to them, then fight them if they say no, maybe.
Asok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

just install firefox in your directory and quit being a pussie Laughing
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Do what I like to do -- install an SSH server daemon on your computer at home, leave it on during school, and then just run Putty ( http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ ) from school (Putty doesn't need to be installed, so you can choose the "Open" option when downloading). Then simply run stuff off your home computer. If you're using Linux, you can use bitchx for IRC, netrik for web browsing, vim for text editing, since these are all console-based. I believe there's even a console-based AIM/MSN client. Then just FTP any files or whatever that you want to transfer over. This is an ideal solutions for many reasons. Most of all, whatever you work on at school is automatically at home, and you don't have to waste time transferring files back and forth. And they can never delete it, obviously.
md

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

or if your feeling particularly adventurous, you cna always keep a cygwin install on your storage space... that way you can run X programs too Razz
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:
Do what I like to do -- install an SSH server daemon on your computer at home

How about VNC?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Hikaru79 wrote:
Do what I like to do -- install an SSH server daemon on your computer at home

How about VNC?

XD was gonna try that but I would have to keep installing VNC on the school comp...
Amailer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright, VNC isn't working.
I can't connect to my comp with VNC for some odd reason, it says server not found or w/e.... they blocked all the ports cus I can't even log into MSN, i used aMSN even and changed the port to 80 (has that option) and it didn't work, tried a proxie and that didn't work.. ah?
cool dude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well msn actually would work if u install it on the windows xp computers everytime because it would get deleted. u can't really install and save that on the school computers because u r not the admin. plus i know some schools take that stuff really seriously and u could get your login taken away if u start installing things on their computer.
Amailer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Actually, I am admin.
And all the school comps run WIN XP PRO so.. MSN 6.2 is already installed.. (I don't have to install it) yet they don't allow anyone to login Sad anoying, it gets soooo damm boring in that class.
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

jee its DeepFreeze.
Drakain Zeil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

My friend told me how to defeat deepfreeze...

Here's what he wrote down for me...

Quote:
ctrl+shift9alt+f6
if it's trial, change bios clock
shift+double click tray icon
create a batch to run msconfig

persi0.sys
*arrow pointint to above line* prog file\hyper...\deep freeze\file

You're taking a pasword file from home, and moving it to the one at school... you'll need a CD or e-mail it, it's made to be SLIGHTLY larger then a 3 1/2" floppy.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: