Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 nortron -another tron game
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:30 pm   Post subject: nortron -another tron game

Current Version: 2.2.5, found on next page!
Hi there, this is my first project that I've really spent some time on. Its called NorTron, and is a pretty much a basic tron type game. You and a partner (havn't gotten comp. AI working that well yet) control lines and the objective is to get your oponent to hit a line, either theirs, the arenas lines, or yours. However, I've had some things (well, one right now) and that is a turbo. When you press the corrosponding turbo key for your line, it will give you a slight increase in speed for a few seconds. This is a little buggy though, because in the right circumstance it will allow you to go through lines. Anyway, tell my what you think and what you think I could add Smile Instructions in the game (which btw is about 587 lines, loads of comments though).
[edit]
Well, I'm still working on it and will continue to do so until I hand it in and I have updated much of it. I can't remember what is different, so I will just list all the things.
-2 players
-dumb computer AI, but it does have it, so you can play 1 player
-change player names
-change keys from original
-in a game, press 'F1' to view the help screen, 'p' to pause the game, 'Esc' to quit the game (completly exits)
-scoring
-turbo and you can lay 'bombs'
-maybe some other things I can't remember
-------------------------------------------
This is the game of NorTron. It is a game where you control a line, against another person, or the computer. The objective is to be the last line running by making the other line run into yours, the wall, or a bomb. The other line does the same to you. You can drop a 'bomb', which is a large circle that explodes when the opponent (or you) hits it, causing them to die. You can also use the turbo if you are kneck-in-kneck with the other player and need just that little 'push'. Warning though, you only have a limited amount of turbo uses and bombs, so use them wisely!
---
Default Keys (In Game):
Pause: p
Help: F1
Quit: Escape
Player 1:
Up: Up Arrow
Down: Down Arrow
Left: Left Arrow
Right: Right Arrow
Lay Bomb: . (dot)
Turbo: / (slash)
Player 2:
Up: w
Down: s
Left: a
Right: d
Lay Bomb: v
Turbo: c
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ssr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

um the computer is erally buggy alright
somehow it went off the screen, and it says its tied! Shocked

good effort though
Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks Smile Ya the computer has major problems, for me it always goes off the screen too. But I will work on it another time. But did you or anybody else have any other problem or bug in it?
ssr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

mostly the computer AI part, otherwise would be great. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've added an updated version, its at the top. Tell me what you think Smile Also, I know about the computer AI part, and it needs to be better looking, but the basics of the game are ok. Tell me of any bugs that you find
Mr. T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

streaky title page
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, try offscreenonly and View.Update.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oops Embarassed, I thought I fixed that, its fixed now. I've also made the menu at first a little more user friendly. Its a bit slow, but it works. You can also use thekeys 1-8 to select the menu option, then hit enter.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Much Better, I like your menu idea, but why not use Font.Draw and make the text look better, or you savin some "special stuff" for version nortron_2_1_3.
Anyways, good job.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I still have some ideas. I wanted to code the basics now and make it look nice later. But I may work on the menu, make it look nicer. Thanks for the comments Smile
Mr. T

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the font.draw still leaves streaks Confused

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Really? That seems odd. I have a somewhat crappy computer at home, its fine. Even on the surprising better computers at school (somewhat better anyway), its fine. Anyway, heres the latest version. I forget whats changed exactly, but now you can skip the opening screen if you want be pressing any key.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Here's a new release, its version 2.2.3. Lots of changes I think, many menus redone. Change name, reset scores, etc.. Begininng of map functionality in this release... There is sound as well, no button yet to disable it. Also fixed the 'ghost' writing bug, don't know why it was happening. Suggestions/comments/bugs?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Good game, interesting menu well made. The ai is a bit... easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks. The main focus for the game was 2 player, so AI at this time isn't really the focus. I would still like to make it better though.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 22 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: