Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 nEwB in Ubuntu.. please help
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
apomb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:55 pm   Post subject: nEwB in Ubuntu.. please help

Is there anyone here who knows how to get Ubuntu to recognise an Nvidia GeForce 6600GT AGP card!?!?! im getting nowhere on the Ubuntu site! please, its torturing me, i did everything that i can think of and everything that seems logical, and even some things that are illogical, but nothing works!!! please help me ...

-Ubuntu nEwB -Compwiz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Do the following
Quote:
1. sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
2. sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
3. sudo reboot

Note: (optional): If you are going to compile 3d applications, you will want to install the nvidia-glx-dev package, like sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-dev
Note: (optional): the nvidia-settings package provides a control panel to configure graphics card options such as gamma correction. Install: sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:

Quote:

3. sudo reboot

Note: (optional): If you are going to compile 3d applications, you will want to install the nvidia-glx-dev package, like sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-dev
Note: (optional): the nvidia-settings package provides a control panel to configure graphics card options such as gamma correction. Install: sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

Dandy. But, how does a new user know how to do this, without simply typing what people say? How do you know to do sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-dev? By which I mean, how do you know you have to add a -dev at the end there?
I am finding that, for the most part, I'm not actually learning linux, I'm merely a go between for people online and my computer.

-Cervantes
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
Hikaru79 wrote:

Quote:

3. sudo reboot

Dandy. But, how does a new user know how to do this, without simply typing what people say?

http://www.ubuntuforums.org

And it's the same as learning anything else... the ability to recognize patterns is critical.
apomb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm, seems youre too late guys, i already trashed my plans on Ubuntu ... anyone want a copy? and btw, i have tried all of those, thats one of the first things i did Sad i am just fed up with not having a computer of my own, so i went to the library and got myself a nice clean version of RED HAT... complete with "Complete reference to: LINUX" its pretty cool, a choice between KDE and Gnome, and a(n) in depth description of both! there is just more support with it, and i can actually use the desktop! I might try using UBUNTU on my next project computer, or this one, i dont know yet, but untill the bugs for the Xfree86 recognition af an AGP freakin videocard are fixed, im staying with the good ol' RED ... sorry for your time, i appreciate the support, like i said, i was getting way too frustrated.

Plus, im a totally new man, im officially coding in C++ and dabbling in perl ... so ill see you guys around! (esp. wtd!)
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Dabbling with Perl?

http://www.perlmonks.com
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
How do you know to do sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-dev? By which I mean, how do you know you have to add a -dev at the end there?

The -dev is a common suffix for Debian-based systems. It means "development" and generally denotes a package that contains the source headers and is only used if you're going to compile other programs that need it. For example, you'll only ever need the libgtk2-dev package if you want to COMPILE ony our own a GTK-based program, such as Xfce. You only NEED libgtk2 itself to run the pre-compiled binary version of GNOME that Ubuntu comes with.

That's the difference between -dev and no -dev. -dev is the C source headers, no dev is the binary package.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

im still waitin for my cds Crying or Very sad how long do they take to come?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It can take quite a while. Also, supplies are running low as they prepare for the release of Hoary.

I'd suggest finding someone with a decent connection and a CD burner to burn an install disc for you.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

o lol i can dl it in a couple of min, but im too lazy to plus the cds'll look nice
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
o lol i can dl it in a couple of min, but im too lazy to plus the cds'll look nice

Why didn't you say something, Andy? I carry 3 sets of Ubuntu pressed CD's (the "nice" ones) in my backpack all the time. I'll stop you next time I see you in the hall Smile
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy... why wouldn't you just download your own ISO and install from that while waiting for the pressed CD? Then you can brag about how you have a unopened mint condition rare copy of Ubuntu Linux?
apomb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thnks wtd ... and i hve installed redhat ... Xwindows actually works! but its totally grainy and not the right resolution ... anyone know anything about how to fix these?
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

What resolution is it supposed to be?

Oh, and could you paste the contents of your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file here?
apomb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Actually, i found something on a Linux/Nvidia forum that perscribed a remedy for Geforce 6600GT cards : change the driver name to "vesa" in stead of "nv"

and ,by golly, it worked!!!

anyway, im up and running, just with no 3d accelleration, i have to wait for internet on it to download the appropriate drivers. thanks for all the help anyway. UBUNTU all the way!
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 28 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: