Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 open GL =/
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
1337_brad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:48 pm   Post subject: open GL =/

hey I am looking at some Open GL tutorials and they are written for VisualC++ and I just wondered if anybody knew how to do this :

After you have created a new Win32 Application (NOT a console application) in Visual C++, you will need to link the OpenGL libraries. In Visual C++ go to Project, Settings, and then click on the LINK tab. Under "Object/Library Modules" at the beginning of the line (before kernel32.lib) add OpenGL32.lib GLu32.lib and GLaux.lib. Once you've done this click on OK. You're now ready to write an OpenGL Windows program.

In Dev C++ =/
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
1337_brad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:57 pm   Post subject: Infact...

Does anybody know of any simple OpenGL tutorials that are for C++ and are easy to use with DevC++??
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you're just starting to work with C++, then OpenGL is way over your head, and it's messy. It's a perfect example of a mish-mash of C and C++, and that will confuse you, since you should be learning the correct C++ way to do things. They're different languages.
1337_brad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:31 pm   Post subject: What would I used instead of OpenGL

What would you suggets I use rather than OpenGl? I heard DirectX isn't that great... I am just learning C++ but I just want to be able to make a windows program rather than a dos application... I don't want to use advanced graphics or anything just basic windows and text and such...
md

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

DirectX isn't bad so much as non-portable, but for windows programming, you gotta learn a lot before you can really do anything usefull. You could look into SDL though, it's a nice cross-platform graphics/media wrapper
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:05 pm   Post subject: Re: What would I used instead of OpenGL

1337_brad wrote:
What would you suggets I use rather than OpenGl? I heard DirectX isn't that great... I am just learning C++ but I just want to be able to make a windows program rather than a dos application... I don't want to use advanced graphics or anything just basic windows and text and such...

Doing native Windows programming with C++ without using some kinda of abstraction is insanity. Microsoft themselves are ditching this approach with the advent of .NET and other more advanced tools.

There are a huge number of C++ skills you need to understand first and foremost which can be easily explored in a command-line interface.

• variables
  • functions
  • pointers
  • classes
  • objects
  • references
  • std::string
  • std::vector
  • iterators
  • input/output
  • file input/output
  • conditionals
  • loops
  • etc.

If you really want to do programming with GUIs and Windows and C++, I'd suggest wxWidgets
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: