Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 University to offer e-mail spam course
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
da_foz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:40 pm   Post subject: University to offer e-mail spam course

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/02/05/email-course050205.html

In a nutshell, the University of Calgary will offer a course on how to write programs that create spam and then look at ways to combat these program.

My thoughts:
Is it possible this course will be abused? Yes
Is it cool to learn about this stuff? Yes
Could it lead to new ways of fighting spam? Yes

At Queen's they introduced a course this year on Datamining. I am not taking it unfortunatly, crappy time slot.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

This is the same university that offered a course last year/semester on how to write viruses Razz Interesting stuff.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

just make sure that highschool kids don't sneak into those courses. They can't really be legally charged untill they turn 18. Just loose computer privilages Confused
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
just make sure that highschool kids don't sneak into those courses. They can't really be legally charged untill they turn 18. Just loose computer privilages Confused

No way.. are you serious? Are you saying that if I set up a spam server/wrote a virus before the next two years are up, worst I can get is lost computer priveleges?

Oh wait... that's worse than being legally charged... darn it =/
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:
tony wrote:

No way.. are you serious? Are you saying that if I set up a spam server/wrote a virus before the next two years are up, worst I can get is lost computer priveleges?

Well, if you do it right, some company will offer you $$$ to tell them how you did it. Smile
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Well, if you do it right, some company will offer you $$$ to tell them how you did it. Smile

that's probably the idea behind the University course.. I wouldn't be surprised if students had to sign release papers for all of material produced Thinking
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: