Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Firefox main developer now with google
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:03 pm   Post subject: Firefox main developer now with google

starfoxtj wrote:
Quote from another user:
Quote:
As some of you may have heard, approximately a week ago Firefox's Lead Programmer was employed by Google. Because of this, version 1.1 is being delayed. Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but this could be the first symptom of a larger problem. After all, isn't the employment of one of the heads of Firefox going to create a conflict of interest within Firefox? How long will it be before Firefox is filled with "integrated" Google search bars and, God forbid, "targeted" ads? Indeed, some would argue that developing an opensource/ freeware browser and working for a company like Google flies in the face of the GPL. I don't necessarily feel this way, but it is a point of concern because, as you may be aware, I am a bit of fan of Firefox (a surprise I know), and the prospect of FF becoming another extenstion of Google is worrying to say the least. So... comments?

Very interesting.

Lets hope nothing bad results from this.

So, what you guys think?
Firefox is going to start going down? New google browser or something?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
person

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

google browser?? i dont think so....although the impact on FF....Mmmmm..... Thinking
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

They were planning on slowing development somewhat anyway, which makes sense. Now that they're at 1.0 they don't want to make a lot of changes in a short period of time. Give Firefox 1.0 a chance to get established and make incremental updates. 2.0 should be out by the end of the year.
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well there are some bugs that need to be fixed in 1.1 but I guess a little break wouln't do us any harm Laughing

It would be cool if they could do something with google though- I mean some proved technology or something that uses google to improve firefox somehow.

Btw, he frequently (i guess) posts web logs on updates and stuff about him- you can check at out http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/ *just noticed i got it off a site that is already linked here.. oh well XD*
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well firefox being open sourced is not very profitable, but it has given its developers a very nice recognition in the field and resulted in a very nice (as I imagine) job at google. Besides - I've read that google is giving those guys pleanty of time off to continue working on FF
Amailer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:33 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah...

bbott wrote:
Ok so I was putting the facts together..... Is this just a coincidence or is Google up to something?

1) Google hires Ben Goodger, the lead developer of the FireFox browser.

2) Google registers www.gbrowser.com
(Check the whois info for the domain! Shocked )

Can we expect a new browser in the near future?? What does everyone think?

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=7422857
http://www.computerworld.com/developmenttopics/development/story/0,10801,99240,00.html

some whois lookup wrote:

Registrant:
Google Inc.
(DOM-1278108)
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View
CA
US

Domain Name: gbrowser.com

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact:
DNS Admin
(NIC-1467103)
Google Inc.
Mountain View
CA
US
dns-admin@google.com
+1.6503300100
Fax- +1.6506188571
Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
DNS Admin
(NIC-1467103)
Google Inc.
Mountain View
CA
US
dns-admin@google.com
+1.6503300100
Fax- +1.6506188571

Created on..............: 2004-Apr-26.
Expires on..............: 2006-Apr-26.
Record last updated on..: 2004-Apr-26 16:46:39.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.ALLDOMAINS.COM 64.124.14.32
NS2.ALLDOMAINS.COM 209.25.143.102
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: