Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 best anti-virus
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The big reason is that, unless you are foolish enough to log in as root, a virus can't do anything to your computer.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea, but its not too hard to grab hold of the root password. just take advantage of security holes in the one of the numerous programs available for linux.. and you're done for. (now dont give me bs, that such holes do not exist.. there are present.. and they do get fixed before they are abused.. but thats only cuz linux isin;t all that popular.)

either way.. your not going to store your data as root.. it most likely would be in you home directory.. if you dont employ a good backup system you will have a problem when a virus deletes your won precious personal data files.

also.. how secure are the distros available now-a-days? huh? they try to make things easier to use.. as a result the drop down degree of permissions on various directories etc. opening holes for viruses to settle.

its not really all that safe you see.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The biggest benefit is not technical but social. There are still huge numbers of "experts" on the Windows side of the world who will happily recommend software that's been known to carry malware for years.

Other communities don't tolerate this. If a piece of software does something bad, it gets trashed pretty quickly, and if you obtain software from reputable sources, you can pretty much count on them removing such software from their repositories.
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i've been using norton for 4 years, and it kinda sux.. i mean the av itself isnt bad, but it uses way way too much system resources.. i now use psc-cillin with zone alarm
cool dude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:59 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i use zone alarm and norton anti-virus. i don't know why u people hate norton so much but i find it to be good at finding and preventing viruses on my computer. it does use a lot of resources but i find it still good, i just hope thats not the reason my booting time slows down because of norton.
md

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmmm... maybe it's jsut that I have lots of free resources, but norton isn't all that bad on my computer... But then I've yet to use my swap space... EVER...
betaflye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
The big reason is that, unless you are foolish enough to log in as root, a virus can't do anything to your computer.
It could trash /home/username which I'd call pretty serious. Or just boot into a livecd and chroot into your installation after mounting the partitions and have some fun.

I use Avast! Home Edition on all the Windows machines here. Works great and is free for home use.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 22 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: