Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 laptop for college
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
josh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

not just like a palm pilot, you can do many other things. That might be a good thing to consider if you are taking courses where you need to draw many diagrams in your notes as you can just flip it over and hand draw a quick diagram.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Pickles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:35 pm   Post subject: ..

my problem going into university next year is which to get, a desktop or a laptop.. im cheap so it will be one or the other, and the only way i could see a laptop is taking it to class, but would i even take it to class all the time i wonder? seems like the safe bet would just be to get a desktop which is cheaper.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:25 pm   Post subject: Re: ..

Pickles wrote:
my problem going into university next year is which to get, a desktop or a laptop.. im cheap so it will be one or the other, and the only way i could see a laptop is taking it to class, but would i even take it to class all the time i wonder? seems like the safe bet would just be to get a desktop which is cheaper.

Well that also depends on what uni u are going to, some now have wifi all over campus. in witch case it whould be realy good to have a laptop with wifi.........
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:34 pm   Post subject: Re: ..

Pickles wrote:
would i even take it to class all the time i wonder?

the only reason I was taking my laptop with me is because it weighted less than a textbook Laughing and I used it as a map to find my way around the campus the first week or so..

you don't actually take notes on a laptop. But then again I never managed to get any assignments done in the residence and would prefer to go else where with my laptop to work.
josh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so you prefer to write tham? I find that if I am taking alot of notes and don't type them up then I can't read them later (I am sped for messey handwriting)
Pickles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ty, i probably will just get a desktop, cause i figure id probably just end up using the laptop as a desktop really,
josh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you could get a "desktop replacemetn" like a widescreen toshiba for the odd tiem you want to take it somewhere
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I really recommend against going cheap on the laptop end and high-end for the desktop.

When something in a desktop PC breaks, there's a decent chance you can fix it yourself. When something in a laptop breaks, it's gonna cost an arm and a leg to fix. This isn't entirely avoidable, and this is why laptop warranties are a good thing, but the best way to avoid it is to buy a decent laptop in the first place. Apple, IBM and Toshiba have the best ratings for quality and customer service (should things go wrong). Companies like HP/Compaq, Dell, Gateway, eMachines, etc. have abysmal ratings.

My suggestion: Get a decent laptop and pair it with a nice (full-size) keyboard and mouse for your dorm room. If you're into games, buy yourself a PS2, XBox or GameCube.

Two systems sounds nice, but you'll only ever be using one at a time, and you'll end up using one of them 95% of the time.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
josh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

don't buy HP, y HP desktop causes me so much grief because of the stuff they put on it it is unbeleviable, can't even do a normal system restore.
MihaiG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

just reofrmat the drive...and get windXP pro orLinux
josh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't want to spend the money, and I don't want to "buy" it because M$ is gunna be cutting off updates for ones that are "bought".

As for Linux, I want to be able to play my games so thats out.

but lets not hijack the thread o.k. Confused
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ELCOMANDANTE wrote:

josh wrote:
don't buy HP, y HP desktop causes me so much grief

What josh says goes farther than you think. If josh's hp is anything like my dad's, he can't reformat windows, because it's stuck on a part of the harddrive that is untouchable (that is, you can't write to it). Reformatting will remove everything BUT the OS.
josh wrote:

Heh. Shifty
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Does anyone else find it hilarious that Microsoft is abusing its product's crappy design to stop piracy?
josh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
ELCOMANDANTE wrote:

josh wrote:

What josh says goes farther than you think. If josh's hp is anything like my dad's, he can't reformat windows, because it's stuck on a part of the harddrive that is untouchable (that is, you can't write to it). Reformatting will remove everything BUT the OS.
josh wrote:

Heh. Shifty

yep, it is on a seperate recovery partition (the D drive). but my PC also made a set of recovery CD's when I first set it up.

But I have heard that there may be cd's that will let you get rid of that partitoin if you want to format the whole drive. You may need to have a new set of XP install CD's if you do.
zomg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
ELCOMANDANTE wrote:

josh wrote:

josh wrote:

Heh. Shifty

couldnt ya just take a magnet to it Laughing
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 36 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: