Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 RPG Map Maker (useful for FP's)
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:37 pm   Post subject: RPG Map Maker (useful for FP's)

This is a program my friend, Zhiyuan Wu (aka "G") from Vincent Massey Secondary School wrote up to help him develop his final project. Now that it's over and done with, he said he wouldn't mind for me to make it available to compsci.ca users for help with THEIR final project. I've already given it out to two people and both have been ECSTATIC with the amount of work and effort this program will save you. Basically, it will generate tiled maps for RPG uses. I've only used it in testing purposes, not to actually develop a game, and it's not exactly intuitive, so here's G's short little HOW-TO for it:

G wrote:
Ok this is for my fp for ICS 3M in 2004. Anyways, I think it would be helpful for people who want to make scrolling RPGs Supports: - about (up to) 200 different tiles per map - single layer, so no moving water - can scroll about on anywhere of the map - saves as a .map file which is essentially a .txt file in the form of the tile numbers 001 ~ 200 - copy/paste
Controls: - click on menu to select a tile
click on map to paste a selected tile - scroll on map with arrow keys (with mouse outside of map, so you can't drag a tile across in case you fall asleep) - press c to turn on copy function, with copy function on, "1" is displayed. Drag on map to hi-lite section - press v to turn on paste function, with paste function on "2" is displayed. Pastes a copied file (can be as many tiles as you want)
save is save
exit is to leave + auto save
so to exit without saving, kill the program
available are some maps I made and tile sets I made
the tiles are all 25x25
read the code to see the other functions

Enjoy!

MapMaker.zip
 Description:
A .zip file including the program, heavily-documented code, some example maps/tilesets.

Download
 Filename:  MapMaker.zip
 Filesize:  1.82 MB
 Downloaded:  726 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Jonny Tight Lips

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That a good map maker. I made one but it was really crappy becasue I made it the bare minimum so it wasn't so fancy. That one is good. What size grid does it make? 60x60? I will probably not use that code but do you mind if I use the tiles you have?
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't see that G would mind, considering he let me post the code and images up on compsci.ca. They're public domain, use away Smile
Neo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thats insane, placing each piece one by one until you have a complete map... I probably wouldn't have the patience. Also I can barely see the tiles on the side. None the less, nice program.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Very nice. One suggestion - make it so that the tile clicked is placed where the mouse is clicked. Then when another tile is selected, the process restarts.
Viper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

wow that is crazy where did u get the original picture from(sry if u ans. this b4 i didnt read any thing)
Leftover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It can be used with tiles smaller then 25x25 as well. I've played around with it alot, and the best I can get cleanly has white gaps inbetween each tile (the missing 9 pixels) but still works just damn good. Beat's the hell out of winging it with a txt file and a test program till you get it perfect.

Did you already post the ripper and file creator as well?
Leftover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh, and I am one of those 2 people Hikaru is talking about. I talked to him on IRC and he was nice enough to hook me up with this as well as G's msn so I could troubleshoot. I've made 4 maps, working on 5th (largest) right now, actuially came looking for another post for a mass format changer, then saw this posted Very Happy.

I'd definatly reccomend a good monitor, as I have 2 bad ones and they both blow for making maps. The only one that works properly and my laptop are the only PC's I use it on.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: