Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 :: Examples Of What VB Can Do ::
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MiX-MaztA-M8riX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:59 pm   Post subject: :: Examples Of What VB Can Do ::

Can someone plz tell me what kind of programs vB would be good for producing, so far all i've gotten to is like little windows error messages to screw with peoples minds but asdie from that, I dont see much...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
zomg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:21 pm   Post subject: Re: :: Examples Of What VB Can Do ::

MiX-MaztA-M8riX wrote:
Can someone plz tell me what kind of programs vB would be good for producing, so far all i've gotten to is like little windows error messages to screw with peoples minds but asdie from that, I dont see much...

perhaps something like a notepad app, or a calculator, or a board game like snakes and latters... i like working with VB except u can't make graphics u have to import them from a flash file or something

anyway theres a whole ton of stuff to be done VB im gonna submit the code to my RPG when its all done so that might help u with some examples Smile
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Unless you're being forced to use it in a class or something, you'll find that most of us will reccomend you drop VB altogether, for a few reasons.

1) It's bad programming, plain and simple.
2) It's Windows-dependent. Windows is not the future Razz
3) Microsoft has stopped development on it (Although .NET is now their main focus)
4) Few of the skills you'll pick up in VB will be transferrable for when you decide to learn something else
5) There's SO MANY good languages out there for you to learn, wasting time on VB is hard to justify. Just ask wtd Wink
zomg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

im pretty sure i heard something about m$ making another Visual Studio in like 2006. doesnt VB come with visual studio?

and im just wondering... how is it bad programmng?
anyway wat else would u recommend for a begginner programmer that has no idea even what a variable is? becuz thats my friend to a tee Laughing
MiX-MaztA-M8riX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Your Not Reffering To Me Are You Surprised

lol, but yeah I"m using it in class right now, I find it pretty interesting, and when laerning comp code languages, its never bad to know one too many Razz
zomg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol im talking about my friend who wants to learn how to program but doesnt have clue... which would be the best choice

anyway its true that you can nver learn too many programming languages and i agree its fun Smile
Brightguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:18 pm   Post subject: Re: :: Examples Of What VB Can Do ::

From what I've seen, VB is the quickest and easiest way if you ever want to throw together a Windows application. For really serious applications you'll probably choose another language, but there's still a lot you can do with VB.
MiX-MaztA-M8riX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea I agree, that vB is for applications, not for the gaming programs so many people are out to make, i wonder... would you be able to make a windows type, OS, from this? Shocked
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

vb is not useless.. u should learn it just because many applications are made from it, but u shouldnt make it your main focus.. honest, vb isnt all that hard.. i mean click drag and type a couple of lines of code.. however, it is much easier to use than MFC.. which is a HUGE and i mean HUGE pain in the ass..
MiX-MaztA-M8riX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

and MFC would be.... Confused
zomg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

MiX-MaztA-M8riX wrote:
yea I agree, that vB is for applications, not for the gaming programs so many people are out to make, i wonder... would you be able to make a windows type, OS, from this? Shocked

u couldnt make an OS from this becuz it has to have windows to run...u could probably make an app that starts up with windows and has all the commands that windows has...so in essense its pointless to do that and would be a huge waist of time
MiX-MaztA-M8riX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well, if you made a "database" that supplied the needed info from the windows folder or whatever, couldnt you make it work? Confused
zomg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

to tell uthe truth i dont have a clue(this is my 3rd month working with VB), it just seems improbable cuz apps that u make in VB are windows themselves. i could be wrong tho
MiX-MaztA-M8riX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Right You Are Ol' Chap!

Hmmm... Hm I Say.

But MAYBE.

Unlike Turing... maybe this 'vB' has an authentic looking Full-Screen, like most gaming apps. As apposed to just having it full screen until the toolbar (turing-style)
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: