Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 keyboard &mouse dont work
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Neo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:53 pm   Post subject: keyboard &mouse dont work

i disconnected my mouse to untangle the wire, my comp restartee by itself after i plugged it bak in. after the restart both my mouse and keyboard doesnt work. nothin is loose on the outside or the inside. my keyboard work on another comp and my mouse is working now bcuz its in the usb port. i think it may be a problem with the keyboard port and ps/2. but why would it happen if i only unplugged the mouse. this is driving me insane.it took me over 15 mins to type this message using onscreen keyboard.... Evil or Very Mad help please.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Was your computer off?

PS/2 peripherals aren't hot-swappable. If you unplug one, you may be able to plug it back in and use it again, but typically you have to restart.

Buy yourself a USB keyboard and mouse. Smile
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:

PS/2 peripherals aren't hot-swappable. If you unplug one, you may be able to plug it back in and use it again, but typically you have to restart.

Everytime I unplugged and plugged, it always worked while the computer was turned on. Its always within 10 minutes though.
Neo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

comp was on. ive already restarted many times. i just dont get it , how can both things not work? and i didnt even touch the keyboard port.
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Have you tried: shutting down. Unplugging and replugging, then start up? lol call me superstisious but... I'm kinda that way towards my 6 year old computer upstairs. I feel as if it has a personality of its own.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Neo wrote:
comp was on. ive already restarted many times. i just dont get it , how can both things not work? and i didnt even touch the keyboard port.

Because PS/2 peripherals are not hot-swappable. You can get lucky plugging and unplugging them while the computer is on, but at least sometimes it's not going to work.
Neo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

its not a matter of it being hot swappable or not, ive restarted, shutdown , unplug, replug, it just isnt working...
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Neo wrote:
its not a matter of it being hot swappable or not, ive restarted, shutdown , unplug, replug, it just isnt working...

Are all of the pins present?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Neo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

they should be, and they are. the funny thing is i didnt even touch the keyboard or the cord.
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

PS/2 slot may be damaged.
Themselves or from the motherboard, because it doesn't seem to be the hot swappable issue here.
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Fixed...well not really. I got a USB keyboard. Now I have 2 useless ps/2 ports and 2 less USB ports. One day without a keyboard is hell, never take your keyboard for granted, thats what I've learned.
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't think I've noticed this thread before...

My thoughts:
1) Have you tried a different keyboard in that PS/2 connection, or, the same keyboard on another computer? Could it have been that their is a bad connection or something with a wire? I know that in one of my more recent keyboards you sometimes had to jiggle the cord a bit so it would work properly. Further inspection showed one of the wires inside the cord were cut (due to extended use of the keyboard with the cord being pulled tightly over the edge of the table).

2) Never take your keyboards for granted? True. I found an old keyboard lying around my basement last summer with a really comfortable feel and popped off every key to clean them out one by one and later on swapped out the green LEDs for some bright red ones (which I swiped from stupid mcdonalds toys). Sure a new keyboard would've been cheap, but I really like this one and the LEDs (if I may mention once more) are amazing. So I guess I'll be typing in all caps soon. Wink
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

After closer inspection I found that one of the pins was actually bent. Not a pin at the end of the keyboard, but the pin on the thing that allows you to plug a usb mouse into a ps/2 port. Apparently I bent the thing when I went to plug the mouse back in, which caused the computer to restart, then both mouse and keyboard ports became damaged. What caused the keyboard port to become damaged when I never touched it in the first place? I still have no clue.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I shut off my printer (two weeks ago) then turned it on again (two weeks later)... but its not working. i changed the USB cable to a different port on the computer, still doesnt work. i had to switch to parallel and it works
???
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

uninstall the printer, then install the software before you plug it in then try it
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: