Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Good C++ starter books
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jedi-bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:14 pm   Post subject: Good C++ starter books

I am self-teaching C++, and I bought a book called Beggining C++ Game Programming. Does anyone know any good books for beginers? Or what a good bokk would be to get after i am done with my current one.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Game programming isn't really a great time to teach yourself how to program. I don't know whether or not that book assumes you have previous experience with C++ but it would probably be a better idea to get a firm grasp on the language before you try making a game. Have you read the Thinking in C++ books? If not, look for it on Google, they're free.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if you are *"starting*" to learn *C++, then any beginner book would do *(not the one you mentioned since it is specialized in game programming*). for ecample *Teach yourself *C++ in 30 days would be a good start. when you are familiar with basic syntax, try looking into the libraries for example in www.cppreference.com
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Please, start with something that makes use of standards, like Thinking in C++. Spending time learning how to do things wrong, then learning the standard way of doing things is just a waste.
jedi-bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the book i have (as mentioned above) assumes no prior knowledge of programming, and so far, seem to be working for me. This book claims to teach the basic but is more game oriented (like instead of a "hello world" program it said game over), and it came with a free cd that has the Bloodshed dev C++ compiler on it. The books that you have mantioned, can I find them at Chapters??
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thinking in C++ is available for free.

Google for it.
Armageddon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you must have an actual "book" I would recommend C++: A Beginner's Guide by Herbert Schildt.
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cormen/Leiserson/Rivest/Stein: Introduction to Algorithms (CLRS) is a good book in general.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Heh, I'm learning from Structured C for Engineering and Technology, besides the name, it includes some C++ as well. Its pretty thick, and is a university C programming course book - easy to follow.
GB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

To start off, I used "Rescued by C++" by Jamsa. It's a pretty good book and teaches you the practically a first course in C++, if not more. Of course, since it's a bit outdated, it uses void main(void) - but you can always edit that with int main() Smile.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

code:
void main(void)

Is a sign of deeper problems.
McKenzie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I personally Like the Sams books (bugz was elluding to them.) The intro one is Sams Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
When you're done that you can move on to Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I personally stop by Chapters and spend a few hours reading sections from each book I'm considering buying. It's important that the book is right for you. No matter how much I like a book if you find that for whatever reason (ugly, too dry, too funny, doesn't cover important topics ...) you don't like it then it's not for you. Also C++ has changed too much since it's inseption to even consider using an old book.
The_$hit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I bought a second hand book: "Teach your self C++ in 21 days" by jesse liberty but it is the third edition. Will it make any difference in the code?
McKenzie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You should be just fine.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: