Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Windows Longhorn
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
zomg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:56 am   Post subject: Windows Longhorn

Recently i have "aquired" a version of the infamous Windows LH build 4074. i just had to see what was so great about it. LH is only available foe those who are MSDN subscribers and is only out right now for developers. with that being said its obviously not gonna have the major features that the final will have. i found that it is really nothing more than WinXP with a GUI update, a new background, a few new things in "my computer", new icons and a sidebar(which is very annoying and makes your screen look very small)

so there it is

EDIT* there are also some new background processes that i have no idea what they
lol i went to DXDIAG and looked what opperating system it was... and it is windowsXP 6.0 build 4074

has anyone else tried it?
longhorn eh? do u think bill gates is compinsating for something lol
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
josh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

does that build have working implementation of the trusted computing technology yet? if os do you notice anything about it?
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

a working implementation of the TC will set his computer on fire Wink

anyways - post up some screenshots or something.
josh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I did not mean fully working as in totally download lockout working, I meant do you see a differnece in the way you run apps due to interference by any implementation of TC/
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:30 pm   Post subject: Re: Windows Longhorn

shadow master wrote:

lol i went to DXDIAG and looked what opperating system it was... and it is windowsXP 6.0 build 4074

has anyone else tried it?
longhorn eh? do u think bill gates is compinsating for something lol

hmm well backward compatibility.. the core should be the same.. actually.. just that it has a lot of new added features.. i mean well they are "trying" to compete with apple's techonologies. but then again just simply trying. Laughing
zomg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How do i upload a screenshot Embarassed ?
Amailer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You can't in the off topic section... but you can do it at the Desktop Screenshots topic Very Happy or anywhere in that section or any other section on the forum Wink, oh you'll see an 'add an attachment' button while your posting, clicking that to upload your images.
zomg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ok the screenshots are now posted at http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?p=70658#70658
if u want to see something specifically just ask me Smile

installation took me about 20 min and the whole install takes about 3GB of hardrive space... it runs adequate on my Athlon 64 2800+(kinda like Pentium3 1ghz running WinXp) i also have 784MB of RAM and 80gb sata HD

beta 1 is supposed to be out in feb or something i look for to getting that version
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cant you change the size of the sidebar like you can with your taskbar/quicklaunch?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

or probably (hopefully Exclamation ) you can just hide or delete the sidebar.
Amailer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:

Looks like you can (in one of the screenshots, i think 5 not sure)
but anyhow, why did they include the sidebar? What good does it do? I just don't see the point of it. Also, are you still able to move the toolbar or w/e its called to the top of the screen? or is it only in a fixed position now beause of that sidebar? hmm
Drakain Zeil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How ugly. I'll stick with my nice greyscale KDE + transparentness kthx.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amailer wrote:
[Gandalf] wrote:

Looks like you can (in one of the screenshots, i think 5 not sure)
but anyhow, why did they include the sidebar? What good does it do? I just don't see the point of it. Also, are you still able to move the toolbar or w/e its called to the top of the screen? or is it only in a fixed position now beause of that sidebar? hmm

Theoretically the sidebar is immensel useful. It can provide a space that never gets overlapped by Windows for notifications from applications, or RSS feeds, or a thousand other things.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the My Computer screen looks pretty nifty.

I'll give longhorn a shot when it comes out.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

martin wrote:
the My Computer screen looks pretty nifty.

You have to love the giant frickin' titlebar.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 5  [ 64 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: