Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Physics Engine
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TheXploder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:06 pm   Post subject: Physics Engine

I wanna make a physics engine, that will implement constraints --> strings and collision with hard bodies/soft bodies but I don't know where to start.
please post any good tutorials, or if you know the concept behind doing just that.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Take a physics course in highschool, that's really all that you need.

Or you could download an existing one and see how it does stuff. Implimenting physics into a game isn't realy that hard, just start with some basic kinematics and expand from there.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

solid understanding of OOP will be of a great asset

there are solid objects and forces. Each frame all of the forces are added up, and the net force is appied to object's inertia. Then everything moves Wink
TheXploder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

solid understanding of oop, check. taking a highschool course in physics, check... I still don't get what the concept behind doing that is.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well the basic idea of OOP is modeling the code after real world objects. You're taking highschool physics - you should have a desent grasp on the world. Try to discribe objects that move around in this world and model your code after that.

The trick is to start out simple. You could lift certain forces (your objects are in a vacume and somebody forgot to turn the gravity on) to get going. Once you have something moving around on the screen (or atleast in the numbers) - you should get ideas and motivation to continue on.
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

keeping everything together, you would do something like this.

code:

ball object
xpos
ypos
velocity,
acceleration
resistance to motion
weight
um... material?

right?

I haven't learned much in physics [rearrange letters in 'oh, man!'], so I'm not sure how something like this would be done. The physics part anyways.

-Z
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Create objects, and give them attributes. When objects interact, use these attributes to determine the results of the interaction.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: