Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 where's linux?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
zomg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:20 am   Post subject: where's linux?

hi im having trouble looking for a 64 bit edition of Linux
ive looked in google...well up to the 3rd page(ran out of time)

but what would you recommend for linux newb?
and could you give me a link where to download the cds

thx
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:51 am   Post subject: Re: where's linux?

shadow master wrote:
where's linux?

Linux is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been revealed to your eyes to show you the truth.

Er, ok. Well these days people around here seem to love Ubuntu for newbies. I haven't used it yet, so I can't really comment on it (but I'm sure it will suit anyone new to Linux quite well). Personally, my first distro was Mandrake and that was pretty simple too. Though I'm not sure if there are 64bit versions of either distribution.
I'm sure there are other sites out there, but if you go to LinuxISO.org you can look through loads of Linux distributions and even filter for certain architectures. Somebody with more knowledge of your situation will likely come by soon to help you more, but in the meantime good luck. Wink
zomg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:01 pm   Post subject: Re: where's linux?

Coutsos wrote:
shadow master wrote:
where's linux?

Linux is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been revealed to your eyes to show you the truth.

lol thx
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes. Ubuntu is available for AMD64. Smile
zomg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok i want to look into this ubuntu OS but i cant find it!

if anyone knows a links to the iso's(presumably more than 1) plz post them. i tried using that linuxiso.com and it didnt have ubuntu
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://www.ubuntulinux.com
Neo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I ordered 8. Laughing
Will they actually send that many? Whats in it for them?
zomg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol thx that would have been the last place i would have looked
i also have a couple (perhaps noob-like) questions(for ubuntu)

1) whats compatible with linux?
2) what is makes linux better than windows?
3) do you recommend i keep Windows LH on my other partition?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shadow master wrote:
lol thx that would have been the last place i would have looked
i also have a couple (perhaps noob-like) questions(for ubuntu)

1) whats compatible with linux?
2) what is makes linux better than windows?
3) do you recommend i keep Windows LH on my other partition?

1) What do you mean? Hardware, almost everything. Some of it will take more time to get working, but 99% of hardware can work in the end. If you mean software, then a lot of windows programs will not run (unless you try to emulate, but that's a whole different story), but here's my guarantee: FOR EVERY WINDOWS PROGRAM (BESIDES GAMES) YOU WILL FIND A LINUX ALTERNATIVE THAT IS AT LEAST AS GOOD, IF NOT BETTER! (Or your money back Wink)
2) It's faster, it's stabler, it's not proprietary, and it forces you to understand your computer better.
3) Not unless you're a gamer. The most common complaint with Linux is that people's games stop working (Actually, this is not true. TransGaming's Cediga has managed to support almost every game for Windows, including CounterStrike and WoW), so if this bothers you, keep Windows. Otherwise, Linux all the way!

And Neo, yes. I ordered 10 for myself, and 50 for my school. You do get them Smile
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There's a ton in it for them, the biggest of which is popularity. Everyone knows names like Gentoo, Debian, SUSE and Mandrake. Not many people have heard of Ubuntu...yet. 56kers do exist (believe it or not).

Plus, CD's are cheap. I'm betting that it costs them about a dollar per CD to make, package and ship.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

martin wrote:
There's a ton in it for them, the biggest of which is popularity. Everyone knows names like Gentoo, Debian, SUSE and Mandrake. Not many people have heard of Ubuntu...yet. 56kers do exist (believe it or not).

Plus, CD's are cheap. I'm betting that it costs them about a dollar per CD to make, package and ship.

Ubuntu has the added benefit of being corporately sponsored by Canonical, while still mainting 100% freedom. Nothing about Ubuntu is closed, there's no "premium version" or "subscription benefits", yet Canonical is still willing to put money in. "What's in it for them?" ... good question, actually Laughing
apomb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

martin wrote:
56kers do exist (believe it or not).

lol, thats ME and im diving right in , as soon as i found out about it, i ordered one for AMD 64, then another one (64), and now im getting one from Hikaru ... so yea, id say its popular (even wihth us 56kers!)
Drakain Zeil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you care about games that much...
If you can get WINE to work, a lot of windows games work too.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: