Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 LMAO
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
BioHazardousWaste

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:59 am   Post subject: LMAO

Shows you what RTP is capable of eh? I'm caught in a weird technicallity at school where I am in the class, but I have English at the same time... so needless to say, I am never physically in the class. Added onto this we are using RTP and my teacher is a math teacher because the school board is too welfare to get us a computer teacher and I'm pretty much fucked. Really, I can't understand it... I've learned a bit of "real java", and some java scriplets. So far i've only found the scriplets useful (you embed them into html and you can make a killer website). I haven't really given "real java" much of a chance so i'm not going to complain about it... but this mandatory RTP is complete bullshit. Seriously!! Like how did it happen? Hey man, i've got an idea... let's take a programming language, change it, rewrite it and stick our names on it so we can make some money... Hey... that's a good idea, I love fucking up kids minds so they don't really know whats going on... and the money will be nice too. Like what the hell? You'd have to be a complete fucktard to even think like that... and what does that tell you about our minister of education (Canadian anyways) and btw in case anyone didn't know this he dropped out of high school in grade 10... and again i'm left standing there with nothing to say but "WHAT THE FUCK?!" My God... I think i'll go shoot myself now; life just doesn't seem worth it anymore.... Wait a minute, i'll go work on that C++ tutorial i've been going through (just started learning C++ earlier this week, figure it might be a language that is actually going to get me somewhere in life?)... Anyways, the point is RTP is the stupidest shit EVER thought of... like Jesus, sticking a key in a socket is a better idea... but i'm sorry for the rant... i'll copy this post to the rant forum... if I can find one... haven't been online in a while, I just moved so yea, hopefully i'll be getting the net later this month or next. So thanks for reading... feel free to comment... talk to you all later!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

feel free to email Tommy W. @ west@hsa.on.ca
also Catharine Kozuch @ cathy@hsa.on.ca
then send angry letters to
HoltSoft's Address wrote:

Holt Software Associates Inc.
56 The Esplanade, Suite 306
Toronto, Ontario, M5E 1A7
CANADA

The man himself - Ric Holt seems to be at the University of Waterloo actually... I hope I don't run into him Confused but he could be contacted at holt@uwaterloo.ca
BioHazardousWaste

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanx Tony... I think I will when I get some free time...
He's at the same University as you eh? Hmm... I would love to "accidentally" run into him... you are smart enough to afford a couple weeks suspension i'm sure lol
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

um, whats RTP...?
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ready To Program.

it's an IDE for another programming language that is very similar to Java, but it's not. It surves no purpose Confused
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Really, it's different from Java? I always thought it was Java 1.4.2 with the HSA console library thrown in. Is it any different from Java 1.4.2 if you DON'T use HSA Console?

EDIT: I use Eclipse anyway, just asking out of curiousity.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yes ur right.. but u see tony is just simplifying the whole thing.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well if you want to get technical : yes, it's Java, but it depends so much on the non-standart library that nobody in the outside world has any idea as to what's going on.

The funny thing is: most students don't realize that and are under a false impression of using pure Java. That's when they get really frustrated trying to search for content online, because it doesn't work.

I've personally saw this kind of a thread:

someRTPn00b:: hey how do I do this simple thing in Java?
rizzix:: <code here>
someRTPn00b:: it doesn't work
tony:: works for me, what error message do you get?
someRTPn00b:: 20 random errors in 5 lines of code

Since then we figured that whenever Java doesn't work - it's because somebody is trying to paste it into RTP Rolling Eyes

I have no idea how holtsoft gets away with shit like that. Honestly

"how about instead of teaching Java, that comes with dozens of free IDEs and gigabytes of data available from Sun and numerous programming communities, we'll instead 'pay' $30 (per copy)(which btw runs exclusivly in Windows environment) and later be forced to purchase HoltSoft books when we realize that none of pure Java material applies"
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Sounds to me like a petition and formal letter about teaching real computer science need to be made and sent to the above mentioned people.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:

I have no idea how holtsoft gets away with shit like that. Honestly

No kidding, M$ tryed to do the same thing with J++ and they got swed for thousads if not millions.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yes but microsoft's case is slightly diff. they claimed that the provided java support when the std libraries were either missing or were replaced with microsoft specific ones.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't understand why schools insist on teaching turing.

Take Turing vs. Java.

Turing
- Costs money
- Rediculously slow
- Very limited development on holtsoft's side.

Java
- Free
- Significantly faster than turing.
- Tons of development.

I think that, although Java could be seen as being slightly more difficult, this difference is miniscule and easy to overcome.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

martin wrote:

I think that, although Java could be seen as being slightly more difficult, this difference is miniscule and easy to overcome.
I'm not sure the difference is quite so "miniscule." I'm in grade 12 computer science at Massey at the moment, doing Java, and I have classmates who did a whole year of Turing (and got good marks), and upon hitting Java, struggled with object-oriented concepts (in fact, some are *still* struggling).

Of course, maybe that's just because Turing spoiled them Laughing
Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

then why not start off in c/c++ ... it may be easier than java..
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: