Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Linux
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MihaiG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:29 pm   Post subject: Linux

i just got Linux Knoppix... it runs of a cd.. so i will learn from that.. by the way is Knoppix any good for a not so l33t person like me? hehehe
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

actually i just run knoppix for the first time 30 seconds ago, and i liked it better than XP, not sure why (probably cuz i am prety sick of XP nowadays)
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Get debian guys. It's much more fun.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

martin wrote:
Get debian guys. It's much more fun.

Knoppix is based off Debian.

I personally would recommend Ubuntu. Also based off Debian, and it comes in both a LiveCD version and a version you can install, and that version is on a single CD.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:58 pm   Post subject: Re: Linux

ELCOMANDANTE wrote:
i just got Linux Knoppix... it runs of a cd.. so i will learn from that.. by the way is Knoppix any good for a not so l33t person like me? hehehe

Actually, Knoppix is about as easy as you can get for Linux. No installation, no configuration (except the cheat codes), no driver-searching. Just insert-and-go. Don't mislead yourself into thinking it will be this easy to get a fully functional Linux system installed, at least not on your first time. It's not hard either, but it will require a bit of research and perhaps some outside help. Check out the Ubuntu Linux thread in G.D
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

as soon as i get familiar with unix nowadays with my UNIX course and find a replacement for my typesetting math (i use mathtype + word, openoffice screws it up so i am not using that, maybe wait for openoffice v2), i am ditching windows
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

just go with SuSE: http://www.suse.com/en/private/download/suse_linux/index.html
shorthair

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I use SuSE 9.2 and im very satisfied , the dvd image comes with every package you need to get a solid pc running

Podder ***** You are entitled to a copy of Staroffice from Sun Microsystems

Its a free license to students and some other people ,

I just recieved ( Dec 29 ) the 20 copys of Ubuntu i sent for . Ubuntu will send you as many copys as you want FOR FREE not even shipping and handling

There are many good Linux distros and I like Windows aswell , but id stay away from Debian on your first go . THe package systems are aot more tedious and SuSE makes life easy for new people ITS GOT a graphical install for hte love of pete
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

and dont forget.. SuSE has the best suport for your hardware.. it is backed up by most of the major firms.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm going to give Ubuntu a shot. If that doesn't work, SuSE is on deck. Then I guess I'll do that Gentoo install...
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh Gentoo is plain annoying.. believe me.. it will take u forever to customize that thing. its best used as a server side installation.
shorthair

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Gentoo took 7 hours for me to installl, i hate ftp installs

the packages just kept coming and coming it was a big mistake to install everything during hte main install.

What is good about suSe is that KDE 3.3 is very very user friendly and Konquerer is amazing ( Linux version of Explorer ) becusae of all hte document picture and video prewviews withing it. ( meaning you cand watch or open anything without leaving that one window you dont need a 3rd party app to open everytime you want to see a text document ) Gnome cant offer that and i think Nautilis is a peice of crap anyway

You should feel relaxed with suSE its almost as friendly as windows
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

but beside the installtion the customization of gentoo is a pain as well.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If Gentoo only took you 7 hours to install you:

1) Did a stage 3 install, which isn't an option for me. I can't get anything but a stage 1 working correctly
2) Didn't emerge X11/KDE/Gnome/OO.org. Again, not an option.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea it took me 18 hrs stage1
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 34 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: