Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)
Index -> General Programming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Ratings of what langue is best are ushely over looking the point of having diffrent langues. What langue is best for a given job releys hevealy on what that job is, what kind of programers are doign the work, what there personal options are, what there person mataing the code will need, the time frames for coding the job any many other factors like what kind of system they are making it for and what operating system will it be aimed at if any at all.

For gamming i whould not ventuer to guses what is "best" however i blive C, C++ and C# are popualr in the gaming industry. Remamber that popular dose not mean "best" or even good tho.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
michaelp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

I was thinking about using C or C++ because I have a PSP, and do some PSP programming/hacking ( Razz ) for that and those are the 2 languages that it supports.

Still will have to look at other things to see what to choose, thanks for the input.
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:47 am   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

You can always learn C or C++ later on, once you have a grasp on fundamentals.

This is something students tend to forget: you can learn more languages, but you'll never forget the frustration brought on by choosing a hard one as one of your first.
michaelp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

I'm thinking more C than C++.
I do know some little bits of programming, from LUA on the PSP.
Do you know any good websites for C?

edit: I'm also thinking about PHP, but unless I wanted to make a webpage, it wouldn't be useful would it?
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:09 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

You could try reading my C Whirlwind in the C Tutorials section.

Lua is a nice language. Nice and small. PHP is a monster, and you are best off avoiding it unless you have a compelling reason to use it (managing an existing app written in PHP).
michaelp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:26 am   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

C or C++ tutorials section? I don't see any tutorials in the "C tutorials" section.

I don't have any compelling reason to use PHP, so I guess I won't use it.
Aziz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:48 am   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Under "Programming" heading. It's a subforum of the C forum.
michaelp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:18 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

You mean here?
http://compsci.ca/v3/index.php?pf=101&h=1&start=0

And here's the tutorial section without any tutorials in it:
http://compsci.ca/v3/viewforum.php?f=102

I know where to look, I just don't know where the tutorial is.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
neufelni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:19 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

michaelp is right. There seems to be nothing in the C tutorials section. However, you can find wtd's C Whirlwind in the C++ tutorials section, right here.
michaelp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Thanks.
I don't know why a C tutorial is in the C++ tutorials section, since learning C concepts when learning C++ or vice versa can make you write worse code.

*hint hint*
*nudge nudge*

edit: What compiler should I use? I heard Dev C++ is good.
Or MinGW?
I would rather have something that takes up under a GB of space.
PaulButler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:08 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Dev-C++ is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment), not a compiler. I think Dev-C++ comes with the MinGW compiler though.

Eclipse is also a good IDE for C++, and it is kept more up-to-date.

A compiler will not even come close to taking up a gigabyte. An IDE might, though. Eclipse is a 100-some MB download.
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:13 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Eclipse is kinda slow on my computer. I prefer Code::Blocks because it has templates for openGL and SDL.
michaelp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:52 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Well, I only need a compiler, I'll just use Notepad++ for my actual code typing. I think I'll just set up MinGW, using this guide in the C++ tutorials section.
It's seems easy enough.
edit: Is the latest version 4.1.0?
PaulButler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:41 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

Starting without an IDE is a good idea. Notepad++ is great with one huge annoyance - by default all the comments are displayed in Comic Sans.
michaelp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Which programming language should I learn? (Updated)

I don't really make too many comments, so I won't mind too much.
Again, can I get a link to the latest version of MinGW? In that guide, it's 4.1.0, but I'm not sure if it's the latest version of it. (If it even matters Razz )

edit: Okay, on the computer I want to install it on doesn't have internet, can I just install on a computer that does have internet and then copy the MinGW folder (where I installed it) to the other computer?
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 8  [ 111 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: