Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Dwite II
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
thegoose

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've contacted Mr. S regarding late registrations. He will check the registration list first thing tommarow morning.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

goose

these contests are to help kids put what they have learned into action. Giving them a chance to shown other people how good they are and its to help find out where you struglle and such.

Our teacher tells us to use turingbecuase we have a weaker player who is still learning alot of new techniques and i mean really why would i want to throw a curveball at him and say hey were using pascal today instead of Turing.

A contest is no time or place to experiment with a new language and no you cant just pick it up in a week if your a programmer at the high school level.

Unless you are like the fewe of us here at Compsci or Teaching yourself at home, you are in no shape to jump languages
zylum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thegoose wrote:
I've contacted Mr. S regarding late registrations. He will check the registration list first thing tommarow morning.

thanks Wink

i have to agree with thegoose on this one... it really does take about a week or two to learn a new language for the purpose of programming contests. im not saying you have to learn everything about the language but just the basics such as the different data types, the basic syntax and some simple data structures... oh and file input/output would be useful to learn too. if you have a decent book it shouldn't take long to teach yourself.
sport

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:14 pm   Post subject: Dwite II

It's not so easy first I need to get a book than I have to find a copy or probably buy one for the school then I have to talk to the network guy to install it on the network it does take some time man to switch to a new language and it's not just one person the whole team has to be able to adjust to the new language.
zylum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

whats up with the dwite website?
thegoose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:04 am   Post subject: Re: Dwite II

sport wrote:
It's not so easy first I need to get a book than I have to find a copy or probably buy one for the school then I have to talk to the network guy to install it on the network it does take some time man to switch to a new language and it's not just one person the whole team has to be able to adjust to the new language.

You can find many resources on programming languages the Internet.
Why do you need a compiler? The judge only ask for code, not exe files. The programs for these contests are only 100 lines or so. It's not that hard to write them in a notepad.
I've seen people who switched from Pascal to C the day before a contest.

The entire ldcsb domain is down. So it's probably not hackers. Since Mr. Sentjens' email is also on the ldcsb domain, I haven't got into contact with him yet.
sport

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:29 pm   Post subject: DWITE II

How am I supposed to test it? It is a good idea maybe but I am not a super whiz that can type without mistakes and know all the correct code that I can just write it and send without even testing it.
zylum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bah the solutions i sent returned an unknown error. i emailed sentjen and he sent me the compiler they were using. it worked fine with that compiler so i dont know... i emailed him again but he hasnt responded yet.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol only four teams got over 0 -- thats hilarous. not what i call a good contest at all.
sport

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:28 pm   Post subject: DWITE II

We couldn't even send our problems the school network did not work. So we finished 2 and didn't even bother with the rest
zylum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

the set wasnt too bad... i didnt really like #2 and isnt #4 NP?
thegoose

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:08 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The judge will be running again today from 8 to 3. Feel free to resubmit what you have, or even do a few problems that you didn't do.
Also, there was a mixup caused by me regarding the test-data restrictions of problem 3. I've already sent the corrected test data. So if you have made submissions to no.3, please resubmit your programs.
zylum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

too bad i didnt see this today -_-
thegoose

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

zylum wrote:
isnt #4 NP?

Yes, No.4 was NP. It had the distinction of being the first NP-complete, output-only problem given on Canadian computer contests (as I know of). The solution is by pruning or DP since the input size is relatively small (only 10).
The answers for N=1~10 are:
1: 2
2: 2
3: 6
4: 52
5: 948
6: 34428
7: 2742908
8: 463849560
9: 164734305828
10: 123437602332804
If somebody could find the values for 11,12 or higher (or even better,a math formula), please post it here.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 29 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: