Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [Tutorial] Terminology
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Tutorials
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
McKenzie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:30 pm   Post subject: [Tutorial] Terminology

A lot of people find the problem going from Turing to VB is all the Terminology. I want o cover some of the basics.

RAD
~~~
Rapid Application Development. VB was designed to slap together commonly used features to avoid re-making them for every project.

Event Driven
~~~~~~~~
In your old DOS based programs it is your program that is in control. In Windows, it is to OS that is control. Everything that happens in Windows (click on something, open a window, press a key) is called an event. As a programmer you determine which events the controls in your program will respond to and how.

Object Based
~~~~~~~~~
In Object Oriented Languages like C++, Java (even WOOT) allow you to design your own classes then create object of that class then use these objects. In VB (although in the newer versions you can create your own classes) what you have are a bunch of pre-made objects that you use. The easiest examples of objects are controls.

Controls

~~~~~~
Most VB applications involve making a form (or many) by placing controls on the form and programing their event handlers. Each controls (like any object) has Properties (member variables in C++) and Methods (member functions).
Properties
~~~~~~~
- How the control looks and acts.
e.g. When you type in a TextBox its Text Property changes
- You can check these and set these at run-time or design time for the most part
Methods
~~~~~~
- This is when the control must actually "Do Something"
e.g. When you want to add my name to your list of names
lstNames.AddItem "McKenzie"

Understanding the Properties and Methods of the controls you plan to use is an easy first step to programming in VB.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:24 pm   Post subject: Re: [Tutorial] Terminology

McKenzie wrote:
Understanding the Properties and Methods of the controls you plan to use is an easy first step to programming in VB.

When I first started with VB, I used to just try out different properties of objects and see what they do... you can learn quite a bit about all what an object can do from seeing what changing properties and calling methods results in Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
McKenzie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I actually got a job programming in VB before I had even seen it. It's amazing how fast you can pick-up VB when you're being paid to.
juzten

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:07 pm   Post subject: Re: [Tutorial] Terminology

I am going into my second class for vb and I am just now understanding this,
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: