Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Moving to Linux
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No, not in your bios.

You run fdisk, and set your boot partition to become bootable after you install windows, and then you reinstall your bootloader.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
zomg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

okay im sick of windows!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad where can i get a version of linux that is 64 bit

and which one would u recomend for my computer?
specs:
athlon 64 3000+
256 mb ddr 400 ram
80gb sata harddrive
64 mb crappy grapics card (nvidia)

anyway thx
md

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

martin wrote:
Not that you'd know though, seeing as you use windows excusively :p
Hey! I use managed to live with linux for a whole 2 months once! The major problem I have with it is that I can't play BF: 1842 or BF:V very easily. Besides we all know who really got linux working on your comp Razz

shadow master, I would recomend going with gentoo if your a quick learner, it's a little harder to get running then say fedora, but I find it to be a lot more customizable (plus portage is inginious!). If you feel less confidant in your abilities go for one of the pre-build distros, such as fedora.
Linux

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

could ya give me a link or something to download it fro mcuz i got an althlon64 too Smile
md

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Gentoo install guide: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

Just read through it and it will tell you everything you need to do (dunno about x86_64 tho, you should do a google for 'gentoo amd64' probably...
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

A note: Linuxdistributions like Ubuntu, Knoppix, Mepis, Xandros, etc. are to varying degrees based on Debian, so if you want to do a "Debian install", you can do it via one of these, generally.

I personally wholeheartedly recommend Ubuntu. It's on a single CD, and then you can use Synaptic to get the software you actually want on top of the base, which is already fairly comprehensive.
josh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wow guys way to jack this thread Confused

I noticed you talked about Ubantu before WTD, and I think I may give that a trie.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Best of luck.

Latest Ubuntu love story. I had something go runaway memory leak on me last night... did a hard reboot. With previous Linux distros, this pretty much trashed the system, so I wasn't optimistic about the restart, but I did it anyway, and everything was fine. That deserves a big "wOOt!"
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
josh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I feel dumb asking this, but I am still quite in the dark as to what i have to do to install it (me = an idiot), couls someone maybe, in one post, just tell me step by step what I need to do when I install my new HD ( shoudl be getting it soon, waiting for a good deal).

I dont' want to delete the windows that i have on it already.

thanx
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

rhysticlight wrote:
I feel dumb asking this, but I am still quite in the dark as to what i have to do to install it (me = an idiot), couls someone maybe, in one post, just tell me step by step what I need to do when I install my new HD ( shoudl be getting it soon, waiting for a good deal).

I dont' want to delete the windows that i have on it already.

thanx

Well, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. To start the installation, you insert the install CD and restart your computer. Assuming the BIOS is set to check the CD drive for an OS before the hard drive (99.99% of the time this is the case), this'll go smoothly.

You'll then go through either a graphical installer, or a text-based installer. The Debian installer is text-based, but it's a piece of cake to use.

As for not affecting your Windows drive/partition, it should simply be a matter of telling the installer not to partition that drive. For more information, I'd ask questions at the distribution's site.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org

The above is a great resource for asking Ubuntu questions, and the ones you'll have have probably already been asked. Look for FAQs, but don't be afraid to ask. They're quite friendly. Smile
josh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks I will definantly check that out.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you're planning on getting Ubuntu shipped to you, rhystic light, don't expect it to arrive by the end of the holidays. It takes a while Confused

*prays for my version to come before the end of the holidays*
josh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I was planning on finding it for download. I htough you can download it and then burn it as an iso. Confused
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rhysticlight wrote:
I was planning on finding it for download. I htough you can download it and then burn it as an iso. Confused

Yes, you can.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Just wanted to add my vote for Ubuntu =) I've been using it exclusively for about two months now. w00t, w00t. You won't have any problems running the installer. The biggest tip I can give you, though, is after installing Ubuntu, go through these steps to "optimize" your installation:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=3713
http://ubuntuguide.org/index.html

Both of those are excellent. Especially for you, since you're using an NVidia graphics card, which needs to have it's drivers installed seperatly. Instruction for how to do that are featured in BOTH those documents. It should be a breeze, with Ubuntu, to get a powerful Linux system in hours Very Happy

Good luck! Feel free to add me to any of the IM protcols I have listed if you have any other questions, concerns, or if you need some more encouragement Wink
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 33 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: