Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 amd 64
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

what type of processor do you have
(No ending time set)
Athlon 64
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Athlon XP
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Duron/Athlon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pentium 4
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Pentium 3
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Celeron
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
pentium 2 or less
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

zomg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:26 pm   Post subject: amd 64

hi. up until saturday i was using a pentium 3 450

and i had a computer being built, i was buying the parts as i got money

then on saturday my dad asks what i need for my computer and i tell him i need motherboard, processor, and ram

and he takes me to computer store and buys me an athlon 64 and everything else Shocked Shocked Very Happy

specs:ddr 400 ram 256mb
athlon64 3000+
80 gb sata hd
64 mb 8x agp graphics card (ugh!)
k8n neo platinum mobo
7.1 audio

so here i have an 64 bit processor!
what is the advantage 64 bit? and should i get windows xp 64 bit ed.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Blade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

just out of curiosity what video card?

i had to pick the most revelant processor that you gave, mine is actually an athlon xp-m 2500.. -m meanding a mobile. iam using it in a desktop computer and overclocking it. until i am able to afford some dual channel ram, my fsb is limited to 400mhz. i have 512 pc 4200 (or ddr 400) ...
default speed: 1.866 ghz (14X133)
my speed: 2.512 ghz (13.5X185) .. i put it at 185 (370) because then i can lower my ram latencies from 3-5-5-8 @ 400 ... to 2-3-3-7 @ 370 ... that is pretty good consitering its generic .. never buy that stuff again. when i do get some dual channel i want to get that OCZ EL PC 4500, ive heard it can get up to 250/500mhz. but its still a 700mhz increase.. all on air too.. stressed it runs at 44C and idle usually around 33-36 ... however its really really loud so i had to make a 7/12v mod for it. .. i havent heard much about oc's for the 64 or how well it does oc.. if you are into that you should check it out

umm i heard that there isnt much difference between windows xp and windows xp 64bit ... i also heard that if you go 64bit that linux 64bit edition has a lot more advantages to it and utilizes the 64bit much better than windows... but linux does everything much better than windows eh?
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

owch, kind of low on the ram there........

My good comp is a laptop so i whent with the intell side of things b/c i blive they do better mobile chips. So i have a P4 3.2ghz mutlitytreated, 1gb ram, ati radion 9700 and 89gb hdd on it. I am thinking of geting the ram and cpu upgarded...but right now it is still better then most PCs and it is a laptop :p
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Maverick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

64 bit = useless, ATM.

It'll be good to have when Windows 64 bit OS comes out, whihc will be in who the hell whows when.
shorthair

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

how in the hell is it useless

you just gave a random comment there , PLease do a little research before making such a huge assumption

the 64 bit processors are very useful , not only are they 100 with 32 windows and are much more efficiant at processing that data ( compared to athalon XP )

SuSE 9.2 64 Bit edition takes advantage of all of the AMD chips features , it was designed around its architecture Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

but im not that experianced with them , just know a little tiny bit .....

Comment ot guy who started thread : Good on ya , Try linux and see how you like it , that way your getting hte most out of your chip
Windows is nice , but you have to at least try Linux once so you know what your missing Laughing Laughing ....
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shorthair wrote:
Windows is nice , but you have to at least try Linux once so you know what your missing Laughing Laughing ....

What are we (windows users) missing?
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i've been using microsoft products since MS-DOS 3 and Windows 3.1 and to be honest, except the occasional blue screen of death with win 9x, i found nothing too dislike about them. On the other hand, i find linux just not friendly enough to my tastes
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You've obviously never tried windows ME. Laughing
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey, give me some credit... it is the first independent os that is actually built for 32 bit.. not just some 16 bit os that tries to run it self as 32
Maverick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shorthair wrote:

I've tried Linux and hated it. I've almost never had a problem with Windows, and every game/program is made for windows which never gives me any hassle. So.. 64 bit is useless for me ATM.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've tried all the win OS Smile 3.1, 95, 98, ME, XP, NT 4/2000
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The AMD64 is a nice chip, and, even though it's full potential isn't used (unless you are on linux) there is a speed boost over the AMD XP 3000+.

The people are right though, you are a little low on the ram. The nice thing about this is that it's easily upgradable, and you don't lose the RAM you start with (assuming you have more than one slot). If you do choose to buy more RAM, make sure that you get ram with the same clockspeed (and probably same brand) otherwise you will run into some strange errors.

On the mobile side of things (I have an AMD64 3000+) the nice thing is that you get performance slightly better than a p4 3.06GHz (mobile) chip and about twice the battery life.
zomg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

im getting another 256 mb stick of ram from my friend ddr 400 (same brand) tommoro Smile

and after christmas ill be buying a 1gb stick

i put winxp 64 bit on but there were no drivers compatible for my motorola cable modem Crying or Very sad so here i am back with 32 bit windows

Question: what a safe temperature for my processor to be at i want to oc without buying a new heatseak and fan yet... i will do that later

whats the max it should be at?

(my motherboard has good OC capabilities Smile
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Why would you want to overclock it

its not a bottleneck for you , so there is no reason

A ) Your shortening its life by overclocking it

B ) Riskingy a temperature Problem that leads to shutdowns without permission

C ) YOUR GOING AT A BLAZING SPEED

Is it really worth geting few more Mhz , risking a chip as nice as that Confused
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ya but if u do overclock it u can cook stuff on your cpu and that saves u money on heating and a stove Wink

Tho ushely PCs can take a bit b4 anything unreparbale hapens......i just whould not do it in a laptop (unless u like your lap being bured off).
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 34 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: