Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 shitty/decent graphics card
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:04 pm   Post subject: shitty/decent graphics card

You guys know of any? I'd sooner shoot myself than fork over any amount of money with the purpose of increasing my Doom3 framerate, but at the same time I'd like a fairly good card.
I like "powered by" ATI/nVidia as opposed to "built by" due to the less expense.
To give you an idea of what I'm looking at, I've been thinking of going with a PowerColor Radeon 9200SE for $70. Except that I often hear about how ATI's OpenGL support isn't as good as what you get from nVidia.

But really, the point is I'll need a graphics card but I'm not putting it first. I don't want to pay a ridiculous amount for it to play the latest game. In fact, here's what I'm playing on my current computer: clicky (the first one).

So... yeah. Any thoughts? Being able to use the card to connect two monitors would be a plus.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Blade

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

uhm... well i wouldnt buy any SE version of an ati... for a cheap/decent one i'd either buy a geforce fx 5200 or the radeon 9200.. they're both about $100, depending on the features that come with it, like vivo.. both of them are aimed at office use, so i wouldnt really expect to get very much 3d support from them, like advanced pixel shaders and whatnot

my dad has a powercolor radeon 9200se and he regrets getting it, he doesnt do any major gaming or anything either...
Maverick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Nvidia cards craps out after a year or so. At least the fans do. I've had 3 and each time the fan craps out.
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you want linux, go nVidia all the way.

I've been an avid user of ATI cards, and I haven't had a problem with any of them. Get yourself a nice 9600, or, if you want to fork out a few extra dollars, a 9800 SE (since the only difference between the PRO/XT is the bios).
Blade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i dunno, i didnt think the guy wanted anything that expensive... they're all 150 - 200$ cards ... except for maybe the 9600se
Neo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Since we are on the topic of video cards, how much would you say a decent 64mb video card is? Say a GeForce3 or something, because I think its time to upgrade my 16mb card.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Maverick wrote:
Nvidia cards craps out after a year or so. At least the fans do. I've had 3 and each time the fan craps out.

I've had mine (GeForce4, 64mb) for upwards of two years and its still going strong.
zylum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Neo wrote:
Since we are on the topic of video cards, how much would you say a decent 64mb video card is? Say a GeForce3 or something, because I think its time to upgrade my 16mb card.

lol, i have a 4mb integrated video card Laughing
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Maverick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
Maverick wrote:

I've had mine (GeForce4, 64mb) for upwards of two years and its still going strong.

Lucky Razz
Neo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

zylum wrote:

not so lucky... Laughing
shorthair

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=674963&sku=P450-8602&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=CANEM254

XFX GeForce FX 5200 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / TV Out / Video Card

$24.97
md

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I prefer ATI to nVidia because of the better dual monitor support. Most of the older nVidia cards can only drive one monitor, whereas most ati cards can drive two. The thing is though, nVidia has much better dual monitor software.

Quote:
XFX GeForce FX 5200 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / TV Out / Video Card
But only one head, and no DVI Sad
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That GeForce looks pretty damned nice... litterally (most of my cards are boring green so blue gives this one an advantage). And the price seems right. For that price I might look into getting two of them and getting a motherboard that supports 2 AGP8X slots (if possible). But I'll keep looking for now.
templest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

zylum wrote:
*shudders*
*kisses computer chasis and says: "Don't even leave me"*
josh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

u are right as far as open GL being a little bit better on NvDia then on ATI and ATI is better at Direct X. Althoug IMO not noticible so. I go tthe 9800 PRO now that the price has dropped, adn I really like it, it is not loud and it works really well.

Just wathc out when u buy NViDia becuase some of there fans are exremely loud . I think oneo f therir cards 1-3 generationa ago ws desribed asn "sounding like a vacumm cleaner had been truned on inside your PC"
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 32 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: