Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [Regex-tut] Non-Greedy Matches
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:03 am   Post subject: [Regex-tut] Non-Greedy Matches

Recap

In the previous installments, dealing with negative sets, I used:

code:
/ ( [ ' " ] ) ( [^ \1 ]* ) \1 /x

To match the contents of a quoted string, where those contents didn't include the quote character itself. I used the above rather than:

code:
/ ( [ ' " ] ) ( .* ) \1 /x

Because:

code:
.*

Matches any chatacter zero or more times, and would have matched the quote as well.

Why was that necessary?

After all, I had specified that the string to be matched should end with a quote. The match should have been complete when it found a quote to match the first one.

But it didn't, and it didn't stop because * is "greedy" (+ also behaves this way). If there's another quote, it'll fly right past the one where we would have expected it to stop.

A quick fix

To fix this, we either have to specify that the string being matched cannot contain a matching quote, which we did, quite successfully, but at the cost of making the regex more complex, or, we simply change the behavior of the * and make it "non-greedy".

Following the * (or +) with a question mark will do the trick. In keeping with regex tradition, it's very short.

code:
/ ( [ ' " ] ) ( .*? ) \1 /x
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 1 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: