Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [Regex-tut] Capturing Groups: Inside the Regex
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:50 pm   Post subject: [Regex-tut] Capturing Groups: Inside the Regex

Recap

Groups surrounded by parentheses remember what they matched and store it in a global variable.

This is great, but...

What if I want to figure out what a group matched before I'm done matching?

Variables like $1, $2, $3, etc. reflect whatever the expression actually matched. It shouldn't be too surprising that someone figured out a way to do something similar in the regex.

Let's say we want to match a string between two quotes. We want to allow either single or double quotes, but the key is that they have to match.

So, we create an expression to match a single or double quote, and then a bunch of characters.

Note: the "." character means essentially "anything".

code:
/ ['"] ( .* ) /x

But, how do I figure out which of the two quotes was matched? Simple, put parentheses around that too.

code:
/ ( [ ' " ] ) ( .* ) /x

Now, I need to match that same character at the end of the expression. A backslash followed by the number of the matching parens will work.

code:
/ ( [ ' " ] ) ( .* ) \1 /x

And putting it all together:

code:
input = gets.chomp

if input =~ / ( [ ' " ] ) ( .* ) \1 /x
   puts "Match the string: #{$2}."
end
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 1 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: