Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Venus Transit
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:12 pm   Post subject: Venus Transit

Tommorow morning, between 7:00 and 7:30 or so, Venus will pass across the face of the sun as we see it. I believe the last time this happened was in the 1880's or so, though the internet says there was one in June of 2004. I think that may not have been a full transit, or something.
Anywho, if anyone is up to getting their retina's burned, watching Venus tommorow is the way to go.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Flea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Holy crap!! thats cool!

But.. its not very safe, is it? I suppose its visible with the naked eye eh... Is there any safe way to look at it for a long period of time?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, it is unsafe. No, I would not suggest looking at it. If you want to see it, however, you need a camera and some pretty hefty filtration equipment.
Google around, however, there might be a better (and more cost effective) way of seeing it.
templest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
...pretty hefty filtration equipment...

Like holding up two CDs without glued-on covers (ie: lableless blank CDs) to the sun? Or is that only good for eclipses (not detailed enough)?

What about just looking at the reflection off of a bucket w/ water?
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How exciting can it be anyways? I mean how big will it be compared to the sun? If its just a little spec in the sky then that isnt even worth it.
Catalyst

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

pinhole projector would be your best option
Brightguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:17 am   Post subject: Re: Venus Transit

Hmm... according to this wikipedia article, the next one isn't occurring until 2012. I remember when it happened in June, Google changed their logo for it.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Guy from the Perimeter Institute said there was one today (Tues, nov. 9). Strange indeed.
Oh well, I wasn't too enthusiastic about burning my retinas.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

"guy" from PI might have been me, if you saw me around there. I was spouting all sorts of bullshit. Priveleges of being one of the volunteer with the shirt I guess. Razz
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: